Faster Than the Speed of Light?

RJSakowski

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Why is it every time the price of crude goes up, the price of gasoline and diesel increases virtually immediately? The fuel in the pipelines and storage tanks has probably been invoiced weeks or months before. Is this price gouging or profiteering? Asking for a friend.

Why is it every time the price of crude goes up, the price of gasoline and diesel increases virtually immediately? The fuel in the pipelines and storage tanks has probably been invoiced weeks or months before. Is this price gouging or profiteering? Asking for a friend.
Not adding anything but the usual "excuse" is that they raise prices to curtail demand since the supply is flakey. They don't want to have a rush on the supply and run out of gas. . . Remember around 5-8 years ago when we had a particularly cold winter and propane went up to something like $5 a gallon? We'd pre-bought at $1.60 and weren't affected other than we were limited to 50% fills on our tank. The "logic" back then was "we only made enough propane for a normal winter. People are buying more so we're going to raise prices and ration so everybody gets to have something in their tank". Yeah, the logic is not logical. It's not like I have a dozen 500-gallon tanks and am hording propane so no one else can buy it. Purely a case of the companies who have us by the short and curlies taking advantage of a situation to pad their pockets.

Bruce

I agree I assumed that a gas station could not raise prices till they got a fresh delivery of fuel at the going rate. Every time I drive past a gas station these days it’s gone up at least 20c. The fact that it’s so volital when I started driving back in 94 gas was 96c. It would move maybe 2c extreme might have been a nickel and that was over weeks or months.
Now it can be minutes and raise 50-75 cents. Then two days later it might drop a penny or two. Then a day later it’ll raise backup another 20c or so. It’s just RIDICULOUS !!!
And then come to find out the oil companies are making record profits when their feeding us lies that this is why there’s a shortage or blah blah lies coming out their mouths.
I don’t know how to change it but all I can say is it’s killing the middle class well everybody. What I do know is between inflation, the rise of fuel which the companies will adjust their prices accordingly,buisnesses raising prices because minimum wage went up, then they are raising their prices because they wanna get their cut. Its not gonna be sustainable !!
I need a RAISE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Part of it is the logic that they have to pay to refill the tanks/pipelines at the new higher cost. Yes they are making more money on what is in the tank but it is going to leave their pocket on the next refill...

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Look at it from both directions. When they sell their existing stocks, they have to replace it with higher $ stock. But when prices drop they can't sell their more expensive stock at the higher price they paid because someone else will be selling the cheaper stuff right away. Commodity pricing is less a function of the makers than the commodity market. You can buy & sell oil or beans you don't have. It's called speculating! Risky! Big bucks can be made or lost in a very short time. You can do it, anyone can. 10 to 1 leverage is common. Buy 1000 bu. of beans for $10/bu. but only have to pay $1000 + some fees with a promise to pay off the rest by a certain time. If the price goes up by $1, you sell and make a $1000 profit on a $1000 investment, less a little in fees. But if the price goes down by $1, They sell you out and you've lost your total investment. Of course there is more to it than this but you get the idea.

The game gets even more interesting when there is a big run up in prices. People jump in to make the big bucks. More contracts are sold than commodities to fill them. If the price dips a little there will be mass selling to keep from losing either their paper gains or their total investment. It can turn into a snowball. If there are more sellers than buyers at a given price the price will drop until it evens out. That puts more pressure on those that got in at a cheaper price. They then have to sell to keep from losing their a$$.

Limits were put in place after the 1920s market crash. But the game can still be played. Not my cup of tea but you may want to see if you can make the big bucks. There are some catches not covered here. Inflation will raise prices but not value. The government will collect taxes on any of you're $ gains even though you haven't gained any true value. The government will use those cheap $s to pay back the more valuable $s they had "barrowed." Inflation is a barrower's friend!

Part of it is the logic that they have to pay to refill the tanks/pipelines at the new higher cost. Yes they are making more money on what is in the tank but it is going to leave their pocket on the next refill...

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Then raise the prices when they next refill.

Don't forget everything else is goes up due to shipping cost, fertilizer is fuel related, etc.

My sister-in-law and her husband went to dinner across the street from a gas station. By the time they came back out, the prices had risen $.20!

Not only do the prices go up one existing inventory during a price rise, but the pump prices stay high long after the crude price drops. They get you coming and going.

Back