Farm Boy engine - First Run! With video.

Here is a video of the first run of my Farm Boy engine after sorting out some issues with Hall sensors! It uses an ignition circuit I designed. This engine took about nine months to complete working on it sporadically.

I could hardly hold the camera still when I heard it run reliably for the first time! It was all I could do to suppress whoops and hollers on camera!

The engine is running on denatured alcohol.

The spark plug is a Rimfire VR2L. I designed my own spark plug which is in the process of being made. I'll add a build thread with how I did it and working drawings if it all pans out - I think it will.

I'm as happy as a pig in... well you know...

Here's a link to the video: [video=youtube;DoI33CuWYsU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoI33CuWYsU[/video] Cheers! John
Very nice...a hit-and-miss to boot! Is it scratch built or from a kit?

Regards,
Drifter

Hi John,
First of all congratulations of a fine looking and running engine. I have heard of miniature engines running on several different fuels but I must say that I have never heard of anyone using denatured alcohol. From my drag racing days I know that alcohol is used but not the denatured kind. With alcohol you have to richen the mixture up quite a bit compared to gasoline so maybe that's why there didn't seem to be much change when you turned the needle valve in and out.
gbritnell

Nice engine, John, and thanks a ton for the video too! I'll be looking forward to your posting of the plans for your ignition system and spark plug. Or is it just the spark plug you plan to post? It doesn't matter, anything you wish to share is great!

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW, certainly a project to be proud of.
Greg

That is a very beautiful looking and running engine awesome job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice ... such a sweet sound when it's running. You did a fine job there and can be proud of that one.

Cheers,

Tom

Awesome..... I so want to do that project...... Great job and thanks for the video.

Back