Factor in the demise of small manufacturing...?

Funny, it was a a shop nearly identical to the one above that is responsible for re-igniting my interest in metalworking. About 8 years ago I needed a large wheel for an old bandsaw bored out so I looked in the phone book for a machine shop close to home to have the work done. Two miles from home I found the 75 year old owner/machinist was a pleasant old gent who had reluctantly inherited the shop from his father. The building was an extended old carriage house from the 1870s with a dirt floor. Most of the machines dated from the turn of the century through 1940 or so although his lathe was a bit more current. He mostly did work for the local heavy equipment manufacturer. Anyway, in spite of appearances, he did good, accurate work and he knew where everything was. He made a few other parts for me before the bug bit hard. I thought the place was flat out awesome - like visiting a working museum or something - but I do remember thinking I wouldn't like to work there. Never-the-less, I admired the old guy for providing a service and sticking with it. He did tell me that when he died, it was all going to auction because no one was interested. I actually thought the photo was from his place and felt a brief pang of sorrow at his possible passing. I'll have to stop by tomorrow to see how he's doing.

.....He did tell me that when he died, it was all going to auction because no one was interested. ......
If I knew somebody like that I would be their son in an instant. Showing all the enthusiasm and eagerness they were looking for. He would probably happily gift it or sell it at a huge loss to you if he thought it was going to be put to use by somebody.

Cheers Phil

I bought my lathe from a guy similar to that. He had been sitting on it for a while. Lowered the price considerably because I didn't have enough but he just wanted it to go to someone who was going to use it and appreciate it.

Wish I could find more deals like that...

Back