Facing with a mill

Archer60x

Registered
Registered
What is a good beginner mill tool to face aluminum? All i have is drill bits, starter pack of two flute end mills and some reamers for a project i am planning. The project it am planning is a maximum dimension of 4inches.

I will probably be looking on ebay for something used to get me started.

PM728VT Mill with R8 spindle

Thanks'!
Chad

You can also go with a shell mill, it is kind of like a big end mill that goes into an R8 adapter and mounts like the face mill mentioned above. I find they don't pound the spindle as much as my face mill with APKT style inserts. The downside is shell mills, they need to be sent out for resharpening when they get dull, with inserts, you just replace them.

If I was buying over, instead of the face mill with APKT carbide inserts, I would go with something that has Square inserts. You can get a style that has the inserts that will give you a 90 degree shoulder when you cut, or they can be at a 45 degree angle. The 45 degree angle is easier on the machine, so if you don't need the square shoulder, that would be the style to get.

You can also go with a shell mill, it is kind of like a big end mill that goes into an R8 adapter and mounts like the face mill mentioned above. I find they don't pound the spindle as much as my face mill with APKT style inserts. The downside is shell mills, they need to be sent out for resharpening when they get dull, with inserts, you just replace them.

If I was buying over, instead of the face mill with APKT carbide inserts, I would go with something that has Square inserts. You can get a style that has the inserts that will give you a 90 degree shoulder when you cut, or they can be at a 45 degree angle. The 45 degree angle is easier on the machine, so if you don't need the square shoulder, that would be the style to get.
SO you mean something like this? It looksl like it will give a 90deg shoulder like you mention.

I like that idea of a 90 deg cut also.

Yes, that will give you a 90 degree shoulder, but make sure you can get the inserts it takes. Sometimes the stuff you find on eBay is there because they can't find inserts they need for it.

This is the one with the 45 degree Cutting angle. I highly recommend this company, they have very good products at good prices for when you are ready to buy new. I have bought a bunch of stuff from Curtis.

Back