Face Plate Question

I have the same set of dogs from Grizzly, a very similar faceplate, and the same dilemma. I was thinking of bolting a couple of pieces from a hold-down kit to the faceplate to drive the dogs. Drive the dog with one side and have another on the other side of the faceplate to balance it. Any reason this would not work or be dangerous?

Here is the part I was thinking of using for this:
View attachment 82925
I'm just gonna use a lite piece of angle between 2 of the faceplate holes with a slot for the dog. I may have to put the dog backwards.

The scary part about reversing the tail on the dog is that you might get beaten to death by it. It might be a bit hard to see when it's spinning. If your hands survive, your toolholder and/or the work may suffer in a strike.

Angle is a great idea! Why not mount it like this here and then use the dog in the standard position? Maybe round off the edges so it wouldn't be so grabby.
Dog Driver.jpg

Dog Driver.jpg

epanzella,

Faceplates are meant to drive dogs as well as have work bolted to them depending on what type of turning needs to be done. Should the slot be to wide then a wooden shim can be driven into place so that the dog arm is tight in the slot. If the dog has no bent arm then it can be driven by a bolt in the faceplate.

As shown above a center can be held in a self centering chuck and the 60 degree tip cut. A chuck jaw can then be used to drive the dog.

If you have not already done so then I suggest you aquire a copy of South Bend's "How To Run A Lathe" or Atlas' "Manual Of Lathe Operation And Machinists Tables" or "Textbook Of Adbanced Machine Work". Any one of these books will explain all of the above.

These books can all be found in .pdf format and downloaded for free or a reprint of the South Bend book can be purchased.

Vlad

Back