[Source] Face mill arbor MT3 3/8-16

slow-poke

Registered
Registered
I would like to purchase a 2" or 50mm carbide insert face mill, for use on aluminum and mild steel. The actual face mills are readily available but more typically with R8 taper arbors. MT3 arbors are also easy to get however they all seem to be M12 drawbar thread.

I have an old round column mill that requires a MT3 taper with 3/8-16 drawbar thread. So if anyone knows where to get an appropriate arbor please let me know.

The 22mm face cutters seem easy to get, so the arbor would need to have a 22mm spigot.

Unfortunately because of where my mill is located (low ceiling in basement) I can't remove the drawbar or I would simply make a M12 drawbar. Not sure if using some sort of helicoil or thread adapter would work? I would have to be sure it stays in the arbor, because if it decided to unthread from the arbor but stay on the drawbar I would be in a bit of a pickle.

I'm also looking for advice on 45 vs. 90 degree.

Advice received so far is to avoid the face mills with triangular inserts and use the ones with square inserts, comments welcome on that topic.

thanks SP

Last edited:
The arbor will be MT3 FMB22. I did a little searching but haven't found one with 3/8-16 thread. You could adapt an M12

I've been quite pleased with the 50mm face mill that uses the SEKT/SEHT inserts. I first bought one that uses the APKT inserts, not so happy with it.

The arbor will be MT3 FMB22. I did a little searching but haven't found one with 3/8-16 thread. You could adapt an M12

I've been quite pleased with the 50mm face mill that uses the SEKT/SEHT inserts. I first bought one that uses the APKT inserts, not so happy with it.
I appreciate the comments about the inserts, I'm taking notes.

I found an arbor, however it has a 1" stub.

So if anyone has and wants to part with or knows a source for a 2" diameter face shell with a 1" hole for the stub, that accepts 4 inserts (preferably SEKT/SEHT) or similar please let me know.

Thanks,
SP

Last edited:
Back