Extremely rare hardinge thread cutting attachment

Braeden P

Registered
Registered
These are extremely rare there is only two others known in existence this one is missing the gears but the person who has the other two will give you the size of the gears. This will fit my hardinge but it is in Illinois.

Sounds like it's time for an up grade in the lathe department. The attachment looks like it's more for production than for one off type of work. Good luck on your endeavors . If you do hook it up on your lathe pictures please. I can't tell how it would generate the lead on a thread. It would be interesting to see one working.

This is a older one but it goes around the back of the lathe

Attachments

• 5A62A83A-94A1-4CD5-A508-009916D1049D.jpeg
    5A62A83A-94A1-4CD5-A508-009916D1049D.jpeg
    581.7 KB · Views: 114
These don't thread via lead screw per se; the arm rides a 'chaser'. An externally threaded spool, hardened, with perfectly ground threads selected by desired pitch, directs linear travel of threading bit in single point work. The spool engages with a chordal section, of corresponding pitch that rides the spool; best of all, the mechanism includes a kick out to terminate thread at selected length. Not suitable for long sections, but dynamite for fasteners. They weren't used for serious production quantities.

That threading device was the reason I bailed out of a UniMat DB-200 so many years back. On a small machine, it was the only way to cut threads. I still loosly watch UniMat accessories for sale and in all these years, I've only seen two since 1970.

Back