1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

Extra Fan For Sieg X2

Discussion in 'MINI-LATHE & MINI-MILL INFORMATION' started by jimbob, Jan 4, 2017.

1. jimbob

jimbob United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Citrus County
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

So I keep hearing about the control box on the Sieg X2's mills going bad. What's the opinion on adding an extra fan in the control box and enlarging the air inlet holes? That would give me 2 fans and should run cooler.

I would like to do this on my Harbor Freight X2. Figure the more air moving the better. Heat is the usual problem and might ward off any future problems.

2. silence dogood

silence dogood United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    pendleton
    State:
    Oregon

-Return to Top-

I would also add an air filter. I use to work on electronic organs and amps in general. Dust would accumulate on the heat sinks and act as insulation. Once in a while I would take the panel off and brush and blow the dust off. O' yeah, don't forget to turn the power off or better yet unplug it.

3. Fabrickator

Fabrickator United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Lakewood
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

silence dogood likes this.
  4. jimbob

City:
    Citrus County
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

Well added 2 fans, 1 in the back and 1 in the side. Moves a lot more air and hope this will extend the life of the electronics.

Have done just about all the mods I can think of so far. If there is any interest in seeing them I will post some photos.

5. olduhfguy

olduhfguy United States Iron Registered Member

City:
    Jefferson
    State:
    Maine

-Return to Top-

My observation of the Sieg 500 watt BLDC machines suggests that the powerboard isn't the problem, it's the motor itself. I added a large recycled aluminum heatsink to the outside of the motor, and it has helped a lot with the motor overheating problem. I usually run the boards at full power (or more) to stress test them and it is always the motor that overheats first.

6. jimbob

City:
    Citrus County
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

Any photos of how you attached heat sinks? Or info on were they were mounted.

Subwayrocket likes this.
  7. olduhfguy

City:
    Jefferson
    State:
    Maine

-Return to Top-

I don't know if this will be helpful since the motor is part of a load cell for testing power boards. I 'McGuivred' a heat sink on one side of the motor with 2 steel wires, using a good helping of thermal grease between the sink and the motor shell. I would not recommend drilling into the case as the windings are pretty close to the outside of the case in several places, but you get the gist of how it works.
    motor.jpg

8. petcnc

petcnc Greece Active User Active Member

City:
    Thessaloniki
    State:
    Outside US / Canada

-Return to Top-

I've done a similar cooling project for the X2. Details Here

9. olduhfguy

City:
    Jefferson
    State:
    Maine

-Return to Top-

I have a scrap motor here that was obviously overheated, based on the condition of the internal windings. Anyone considering using the machines continuously would be well advised to find a way to cool the motor as it has no internal fan or ventilation holes for air to circulate. In an effort to keep swarf out of the motor the designers created another problem.

10. Ken from ontario

Ken from ontario Canada Active Member Active Member

City:
    Peterborough
    State:
    Ontario

-Return to Top-

When you say " continued use" how long were you using the mill in one cession before the motor got overheated? I do use my lms 3960 but no more than 30 minutes at a time but the motor never overheats or shuts down, could it have something to do with the depth of cut which could cause the motor to labour?

11. olduhfguy

City:
    Jefferson
    State:
    Maine

-Return to Top-

For my purposes (stress testing the power board) I generally run them at full power to test the board's overload circuits, and check for heating of the components (The motor is just a means to test the board and is connected with an XL belt/pulley to a second motor used as a variable load). I can usually make the motor too hot to touch after only 2-3 minutes without the heat sink attached and it takes quite a bit of time to cool. With the heat sink I can run for 5+ minutes or so. I would suspect a CNC configuration with a large(shell) mill would do the same thing.

12. Ken from ontario

Ken from ontario Canada Active Member Active Member

City:
    Peterborough
    State:
    Ontario

-Return to Top-

2-3 minutes? wow, that heat sink must be doing it's job well then, I had read a few posts about these motor overheating but usually a fan would remedy the occasional shut down , your case is different, thank you for explaining how you do it.