External O-Ring Groove Lathe Tools?

NO

View attachment 468933

R varies from .005" to .035" depending on O-ring thickness.

Proper dimensions can be found in a Parker O-ring manual or online.
Very interesting.
This is the real deal here.
I bet the Space Shuttle engineers take this stuff real serious.
For most of us in a hobby shop we cut the grooves with parting blades I would imagine?
Do they make cutters for this example shown??
I'm not being a smart ash here I'm curious.

Thank you

Very interesting.
For most of us in a hobby shop we cut the grooves with parting blades I would imagine?

Thank you
Parting blade with a radius end?

For everyday purposes ( non DoD ) , straight sides and non-radiused corners are fine . Making filters up to 5000psi over the years we make straight . DoD mil-specs may vary and they will provide you with a print of what they want . For what we do on here , make a groove and leave .005 on all sides . It'll seal .

Back to the OPs post , he's not sealing anything , just a hammer handle ! Jeeeeez . :grin:

Very interesting.

Thank you
Jeff
I have cut tens of thousands of o’rings in my 70 years of production and never with the side angle. The standard is zero to five degrees. Zero is straight sides.
And I see no reason to make the tool complicated. Most of the parts I made were
to government aircraft prints,
Jimsehr

Norton-Thycol up the road is no longer around due to a mess up on the shuttle . Could have been an engineering mistake or a machining mistake that got thru the inspection process . Anything DoD related , or having deadly in field consequences , you bet , its a serious matter . I've had parts rejected for being out .0005 on radius callouts on weapons . We on here make things work and make up our own tolerances . The Gov don't play that way when lives are on the line .

I used to have a lot of fun with the DoD stuff. Whether it be MIL-Q-9858, MIC level 1, or Sub Safe. LOTS of paperwork.

Norton-Thycol up the road is no longer around due to a mess up on the shuttle . Could have been an engineering mistake or a machining mistake that got thru the inspection process . Anything DoD related , or having deadly in field consequences , you bet , its a serious matter . I've had parts rejected for being out .0005 on radius callouts on weapons . We on here make things work and make up our own tolerances . The Gov don't play that way when lives are on the line .
I do believe that the name was Morton Thiokol. They built the first stage boosters for the Challenger and other space shuttles. Critical o-rings matter.

The o-ring groove I did wasn't critical, but it was important, as it was for a back flow prevention of contaminated water back into a potable water system. (My house!) I copied the OEM groove profile because I wasn't quite sure what to use instead. So far it's been holding. But I do take it in every winter. Cold o-rings don't seem to be a good thing. They sure weren't good for the Challenger. RIP.

I have made and reworked lots of O-ring grooves. Some applications required rough machine, silver plate, finish machine 0 - 5 degree sides, .005” corner radii, and 20 RMS surface finish all with hand ground tools.
They would not let us keep the silver

Back