Extension Cord Testing

By the time Tony gets his satisfaction with this cable, he better put it in a good safe, as it will be worth it's weight in platinum. :big grin:

I have found that if you grab the end of the non contact tester with two fingers as you're testing, the sensitivity is greatly reduced.

Tony---OK---I guess I better give my solution after knowing the frustration of a bad cord------first the triple female end is always a problem since it is all encased and not fixable---just cut it off and a couple inches of the cord----then recheck the remaining three wires with the ohm meter to be sure they are still good---now install a new good quality single female end and your job is done---except find one of your spare six outlet switched with breaker power strips and keep it with your cord in case you need multiple power at times---that way you don't have to have a heavy multiple box on the end of your cord---Dave

Oh, it's not that so much Dave. I have plenty of cords. It's figuring out a solid way to test it. I agree that it is likely the triple tap end, but now it's the principle of the thing. I don't want to just hack off the end, even knowing the odds are that the problem is very likely there.

hook it up to a coil listen for the spark

Toolmaster, see post 20 :)

Might use a ballast from a fluorescent fixture. The old ones run about 970 OCV. Feels good. If they'll make a Jacob's Ladder, they ought to do this.

just don't grab it when its on...it tickles

I'll wait until it's raining and throw it out the overhead, and hook it up inside. Might be worth recording.;)

Tony---look at it this way---you are going to have to replace one end or the other no matter where you find the bad spot------a single female end is far better than the three way when it was new so that is a good improvement in your quest---I've cut the molded bad ends apart to see why they failed and found just-too much crammed into a molded end--some also include a light in there also-----I've never seen one that didn't show burnt marks around at least one of the three----at least by whacking it off with a couple inches of the cord will enable you to do a good test of the rest of the cord---where I worked as a maintenance mechanic I could not convince the forklift drivers to move the cords instead of running over them----these were just single end cords but would be shorted somewhere in the middle----then after finding the broken wires and fixing them they complained about shorter length cords and I would have to make them up a new longer one---the worst ones for me were the overhead crane pendant hand control drops that got stretched when getting caught on something or more often when the forklift driver caught it by not paying attention-------Dave

Take it to your dentist and have her xray it.

David

Back