Experience with Trico MD-7

catoctin

Active User
Registered
Has anyone had any experience with Trico MD-7 cutting lubricant? It's a pure synthetic that is made for Trico's misters. The cool thing is no water is used. I bought a KoolMist unit several months ago while waiting for my mill to arrive. Some folks have had rust issues with KoolMist's coolant and others have not.

I plan to use this stuff mostly for face milling aluminum. Most folks seem to use WD-40 on aluminum but it seems it gets pretty smoky when face milling. Glacern even shows this in one of their videos. I noted RayC even switched to KoolMist because he was concerned about breathing in WD40.

MD-7 is pretty expensive but they claim a little goes a long way. It's supposed to be nontoxic. MD-7 was designed to be used in Trico's MD-1200 micro drop unit. It again is very expensive. I have found at least one guy on another forum claim he was using it in a KoolMist unit.

All inputs are appreciated.

Thanks,
-Joe

BUMP I'm also interested in info on this coolant and/or the MD-1200.

I've been using Koolmist 77 coolant for the past 10 years. I haven't had any issues with rust and I live down here on the gulf coast, too. One thing I don't do is let the coolant lay on the bare surfaces of the mill table and or vise. I keep it wiped down and spray with Starrett M-1 or LPS-1 afterwards.

The one cutting oil that will give you havic on your bare metal surfaces is CoolTool. If left on your mill vise and parallels, it will leave a awful stain that doesn't go away!

Back