Experience Turning And Parting 304l And 303 Stainless Steel

Thank you. Does that mean that you have used a lathe described above to turn and part that SS?

i try to cut it fast on small pieces before it work hardens.. in general ss can be a pita, but it is doable

are the bushings to hold the pen or part of the pen?

I recently parted a piece of 9/16dia. stainless on my G0768 with a 1/8' hss home ground blade with success. Power was no problem but I should have tightened the cross slide and compound before starting because it was a very noisy experience. I know my blade is a little to wide but I need that width for grooving another project. I was surprised at how aggressive a cut I had to make for good results, its not for the timid as now I've found on other cuts.

Thank you both. The bushings are to hold the pen blank material between centers on a wood lathe. Sounds like something suited for the more powerful/heavier lathe. Thank you again.

for the money if you just need a set.. i would just buy them.

u r right, but i want to make them, turn, thread, and bore metal pens. My BIL's 3 brothers are all machinists. They will and have made me as many as I want for free. I thought bushings were a good starter project. I didn't now SS was a PITN. Thanks for the feedback.

I turn a lot of 303 on my old South Bend 405. It doesn't suffer from the same work hardening issues as 304. I use cemented carbide cutters, mostly because I'm too lazy to grind HSS, but HSS should cut it with no problem. I see no reason why your lathe wouldn't be up to the job.

Back