Even i have bad days....

aametalmaster

Registered
Registered
I was just starting to thread my 4" backplate for my index head and my coumpound moved. I was able to save the plate but it will be better suited as a faceplate. So tonight i will make another one. I have lots of 4" rounds cut. So i am not perfect either but i did save the part LOL...Bob

Think that's bad? This summer, I screwed up a Van Norman #12 milling machine, and it still lies under a tarp in my back yard. The overarm support bar (2-3/8" steel) jammed in the ram casting. Like a fool, I pounded on it with a sledge hammer, and mushroomed it out, then twisted it with a pipe wrench, and scarred it up.

Jim B took pity on my stupidity and came over from North Jersey and picked it up, rigged up a pulled and got it out, then dropped it off. It sits under the tarp left alone like anything that I screw up. I have learned over the years that when I mess up, just STOP, before I continue to mess up worse, and walk away. Come spring, I may get back to it.

Best and Happy New year!

Nelson

Here is a better day and a little clip. 3/16" deep cut on 4" CRS running in Backgear for my new chuck backplate. Just click on the pic...Bob
th_saw015.jpg

chengdave2003 link=topic=515.msg2385#msg2385 date=1294182152 said:
I thought there was some kind of requirement that backplates be made of cast iron....?
Thats true or so i have read. I bought some chucks for my 10K and they have steel backplates that work just fine. The cast iron deals with vibration better but this is for my index head so it really doesn't matter...Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm making one out of steel for a 14" chuck for my ATW. Hope it works out ok but that old lather runs to slow to vibrate.

Paul

Old Iron link=topic=515.msg2419#msg2419 date=1294252619 said:
I'm making one out of steel for a 14" chuck for my ATW. Hope it works out ok but that old lather runs to slow to vibrate.

Paul
Paul do you have a pic of that ATW?. I had a 14" ATW and sold it like a dummy...Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
20 x 66 ATW we figured it was about 106 years old. It doesn't have a lot of wear, Some gears have been repaired but other than that its ok.

Also came with a steady Rest and A taper attachment.

Paul

20x66ATWLathe.jpg

Cutting a taper.

IMG_0167.jpg

Back