Erector set part number "HF" - Butt end plate

BGHansen

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Back with another reproduction Erector set part string. This one is part number "HF"; Butt End Plate. The part was introduced in 1929 and was included in a few of the larger sets until 1937. Just a quick “history” lesson. . .

The Graf Zeppelin made an around-the-world trip in 1929. The public was enamored with the 860-foot long airship. The A.C. Gilbert Company sought to capitalize on this fervor by making an Erector set featuring a model of the Zeppelin. Gilbert’s Zeppelin model was 5 feet long and came with parts to make a mooring mast for displaying the model. The model hung from a ¼” diameter steel rod that slipped into the Zeppelin’s nose cone and the top of the mooring tower. The tower had a pair of bushings that screwed to a pair of “HF” butt end plates.

Gilbert's Erector set Zeppelin model from 1929-32
No. 9 75-2.jpg

As an aside, Gilbert introduced a 4-foot-long model of a Hudson Locomotive in 1931. This model used one of the “HF” butt end plates in the front truck.

I typically punch steel metal for these parts instead of drilling. Drilling sheet metal with a twist drill frequently leaves a burr. I made an exception for this part as it has twenty no. 19 holes and one 5/8” diameter hole.

First step was making a drawing. I took an original part, flattened it out and dimensioned the part. The part is not symmetrical on all four side; opposite sides are symmetrical, but the adjacent sides are not. Once I had a drawing, I started with a holding fixture for the Tormach CNC mill.

Here's a sketch made from the flattened out original part (black), an original red part and a prototype blank
20230106_141924.jpg

My plan was to cut a strip of 18-gauge sheet metal to height, set it in the holding fixture, run the routine to drill the No. 19 holes, then slide the blank in the fixture to do the next part. The holding fixture base was made from aluminum plate. It has a couple of dowel pins at the top that act as a fence to locate the top edge. The blank is clamped in place with a plate of aluminum and two shoulder bolts. The clamping plate was machined to the width of the final blank. Plan was to set the blank in place, force it up against the two pins to set an edge, adjust it side to side until the LH edge was in line with the clamping block, then tighten the two shoulder bolts. The RH edge of the part (which is also the LH edge of the next part) was set by scribing the blank at the RH edge of the clamping block.

I could have used an end mill to knock in the 5/8” diameter center hole, but went with a different approach. Instead, the clamping block has a ¼” hole that is used with a transfer punch to mark the hole. The finished 5/8” hole is popped in with a Roper Whitney punch press. I figured this would be quicker than milling a circle with an end mill. It’s just one pull of a handle to knock in the hole with the punch press. My original intent was to leave the transfer punch in place during the CNC drilling. I made a couple of custom low-profile punches to set in the fixture. I went low profile to avoid hitting the punch with tool moves. In retrospect, it was unnecessary as I removed the transfer punch after marking the center hole.

Base plate for the CNC holding fixture. The tapped hole is for a shoulder bolt for securing a top clamping plate. Two adjacent holes are for 1/8" dowel pins that act like a fence for the sheet metal blank.
20230114_144829.jpg

Top clamp plate. Yeah, a lot of holes to drill! The plate was cut to the width of a single part.
20230115_145756.jpg
Ready to head to the mill.
20230115_150153.jpg
I didn't show it, but also made a check fixture that's the finished size of the blank. My original plan was to set a square blank to the fixture, scribe the corners, then cut them out with a corner notcher.
20230114_163510.jpg
I made a low-profile transfer punch for the center hole. Also a number of locating pins and a bending block. Hardened in a Thermolyne Muffle furnace and tempered on a hot plate.
20230120_141046.jpg

The CNC routine worked really well! It drilled the 20 No. 19 holes into the blank in about 90 seconds. I ran strips of 8 blanks which after drilling and punching were cut into individuals on the Tennsmith shear.

Process was to set the sheet metal blank (cut to height on a Tennsmith shear) under the top clamp plate. Jam it up against the top fence pins, slide to the left until the edge of the blank is flush with the edge of the clamp block, then tighten the two shoulder bolts. Then transfer punch the center hole (to be hand punched later). Scribe the RH edge of the part (which is also the LH edge of the next part). Hit "START" on the CNC control and wait 90 seconds.
20230120_152306.jpg
20230120_155103.jpg

Punched the center 5/8" on a Roper Whitney press. I could have done it with the CNC and an end mill, but this was actually quite a bit quicker.
20230120_160240.jpg

Next was knocking in the corner notches. I did that with a 4-ton corner notcher. I’d made an aluminum template to the size of the blank with a couple of No. 19 pins to locate a blank. Originally, I planned on setting a blank on the fixture, scribe the corners, then cut them. Instead, I set up the work stops on the corner notcher using the aluminum fixture to set the stops. As I mentioned before, the part is not symmetrical. Notching was done by setting the top to the right, cut a corner, then flip the part over for the opposite corner. Then flip it end over end and repeat.

Cutting the corners of the blank
20230120_160744.jpg

As an aside, the notches aren’t super-critical. However, if they are too shallow, it can cause a problem with the flange bending operation. When/if I make another batch, I’m going to try doing the work on the Bridgeport. My plan would be to run a couple of 5/32” rods through a stack of them to align them to each other. Set the stack in the mill vise using the rods to set the height. I’d edge find the side of one of the 5/32” rods to set X. Bring an end mill down to the rod to set Z. Set a work stop on the opposite rod for flipping the stack to do the opposite side. Also, make a couple of clamp plates from aluminum with 1” hole spacing and screw those to the top of the stack. This would keep the stack from splaying open like a deck of cards when cutting the notch. Lastly, cut the notch with an end mill. Once a corner is done, loosen the vise jaws, remove the stack, turn it 180 and repeat. Then flip the whole stack over and repeat on the opposite side. Would it be quicker than the corner notcher? Won’t know until I try.

Lastly (other than painting) was bending the flanges. The problem I had with my DiAcro brake is the relief at the back of the finger wasn’t deep enough to clear an already bent flange. Imagine a shoe box lid with the inside facing up. The bending finger sets on the surface, the brake bends up an edge. Problem is doing the 3rd and 4th bends as the finger would crush the opposite side flange.

I ended up cutting a block of O-1 tool steel and put in four No. 20 pins (little loose to the No. 19 holes) to locate the blank. The O-1 block was cut to the inside dimensions of the part. I made a custom finger for the brake that clamps down on this block.

As an aside, I made the O-1 block first and tried clamping it down on the brake with a stock finger. Problem was, the fingers move on an arc and set a little higher at the bending point than at the back of the finger. When I tried this method, the O-1 block was about 0.015” from being flat on the table. When I folded the flange, the block lifted some because of the gap. The end result was the face of the part was a little “dished”. That's because the DiAcro brake is rated for something like a max of 1/8" thick material. The flanges are about 0.40".

So, took some measurements of a stock finger and made one out of some mystery steel (I suspect 1040, it was a bit hard to machine). I put in provisions for installing a magnet to hold the O-1 block in place. Full disclosure is it was a total fail. . . I positioned a blank in the O-1 bending block, and set it under the custom finger. For some reason, once I did this the blank fell off the O-1 block. The magnet was pushed out; bending went much better. It might have worked better to put a magnet in the O-1 block also; maybe if I ever need to make another one.

Piece of O-1 tool steel machined to the inside dimension of the finished part. Also drilled and reamed holes for pins that would pick up holes in the blank for locating. Plan was to set the blank on this block, and bend the four flanges on the edge of this hardened block. That ensured the inside size was perfect and that the bends were all in the correct position relative to the holes.
20230118_131809.jpg

Made a block/finger for the DiAcro brake. I tried bending the flanges using a stock finger to hold the block and blank down, but they were too thick to work correctly. So, made a finger from mystery steel with a rabbeted out area for the hardened steel block.
20230125_152852.jpg

Bending process was to set a blank on the block, set the block under the brake finger, throw the clamp lever and lift the bending table. Unclamp, rotate 180 and repeat. Then, rotate 90 and do the last two sides.
20230129_104716.jpg

Last bend
20230129_104736.jpg

Couple of hours work in the shop
20230202_101504.jpg

And after painting
20230204_091019.jpg

Wish me luck on eBay! There was a guy who used to make these and sold all he could make for $10 each. I can comfortably make around 20/hour, so have a little wiggle room on price.

Thanks for looking, Bruce

Thanks for another installment of “adventures in toy production” Bruce!

Just out of curiosity was the original pieces as precise as yours?

You have all the wonderful big boy toys. Two that are on my long range(super cheap) radar is a corner notcher and a Whitney 4tn punch. Both have come up locally but for more than I can justify.

Good luck on eBay.

Just out of curiosity was the original pieces as precise as yours?

You have all the wonderful big boy toys. Two that are on my long range(super cheap) radar is a corner notcher and a Whitney 4tn punch. Both have come up locally but for more than I can justify.

Good luck on eBay.
Thanks! I'd like to think I'm doing a better job than the original company ;), but I suspect they were pretty consistent within a run. I did hold a few original parts next to each other and saw maybe 0.015" variation in the three side holes relative to the top surface; mine are very consistent. However, in the grand scheme of things, it was a kids' toy with oversized holes for the 8-32 screws.

I'd suspect that they knocked in all of the holes in one operation and blanked the shape with another hit. I don't know how they folded the flanges, I'd think they did them with some automation. I can envision a block much like mine that positions the part via the holes. Then clamp down with a separate block on top of the center square area, the four flanges would overhang the edges of the block. Then come down over that with a square opening die that hits the flanges and folds them down.

I bought my 4-ton corner notcher from Woodward Fab. I recall paying around $600 for it. I picked it up directly from their shop to save the shipping. They don't manufacture them, just stick their label on them. It's a generic Chinese knock-off of a DiAcro or Pexto.

I have 5 or 6 of the Roper Whitney No. 5 Juniors; leave commonly used punches/die in 3 or 4 of them to save time. They're cheap on eBay. I make up any punches/dies that are oddball sizes.

The larger press knocking in the 5/8" hole is a Roper Whitney 218. It's something like a 5-ton press (1/4" hole in 1/4" steel plate). It has a 12" throat; I use it a lot. I've made dozens of punches and dies for it also.

And yes, it's a slippery slope. Want to make punches and dies? It's nice to have a heat treat furnace (have 2). Making some oddball shapes, a die filer comes in handy! It never ends. . .

Bruce

Link to a thread where I used my Oliver die filer to make an odd-shaped punch

And yes, it's a slippery slope. Want to make punches and dies? It's nice to have a heat treat furnace (have 2). Making some oddball shapes, a die filer comes in handy! It never ends. . .
TAS is a horrible incurable disease. Luckily an empty wallet doesn't hurt like most diseases.

Bruce has the ideal situation, he gets to relive his childhood (or maybe he's still in it) and he has plenty of machines to play with- and he gets paid!
LOL
It is an ideal world! On the plus side, they made so many different parts, there's always a potential new project. I listed ten of these for $50 starting bid, ended up going for $180 (~$150 to me after eBay fees). I made a 2nd chance offer to the #2 bidder who took them also. I can make around 20 per hour so not a bad hourly wage. I doubt that the market would support 500 of them; #3 bidder put $53 on them. But at $5 each, I'm still making a decent wage.

Full disclosure is they aren't all hits! There's a thread below to a little collar (part# P37) I made 6 years ago. If you hit the thread, you'll see that I had at least 8 hours of time in making dies and punches. I threw 10 or 12 of them on eBay at a starting bid of $5 and got $5. I waited a month and listed them again; got the same $5. I haven't made them since that initial run, probably could do 30 of them an hour. I recall making up 200 or so of them at the time, still have a lot of them! One of these days I'll get off my butt and throw the balance on eBay; I already spent the time to make them, might as well sell them for what I can get before I kick off permanently and my wife has to pitch them. On the other hand, I learned a lot from making the punches!

Bruce

1676815031737.png

I don’t know if it’s the same in your world but I have these guys who say I should make this custom thing because they know a bunch of guys who’d jump on them only to find when I got through the process they are a dud. Some take a while to get going, but most once a dud, always a dud. It sux to be seemingly mercenary about it but the public have no idea what it takes to actually make something. And then to scale it up, no clue. The cheap prices out of China has really screwed up what the cost of manufacturing because of their government support. In a certain way we are in a similar boat because it’s close to impossible to know what the actual demand is without first testing with a small batch. Where I have a major problem is telling if the problem is the price is too high or too few customers. I guess if it was easy to gauge everybody would be doing it.

Neat combination of skills. Sheet metal work: bending, punching, notching, etc are not something I have ever tried. Looks like you've done a really nice job.

I don’t know if it’s the same in your world but I have these guys who say I should make this custom thing because they know a bunch of guys who’d jump on them only to find when I got through the process they are a dud. Some take a while to get going, but most once a dud, always a dud.
I live in the same "world". There was a guy in the collecting club who suggested I make up the part below (AO - dial plate). The part is a round disk of sheet metal with engraved protractor numbers. They also included a part# AN - needle, and an AP - half dial plate. The AP was an AO cut in half at '0' and '180'.

I didn't have the CNC at the time and took it on more as a challenge than anything. I clamped the sheet metal blank to a plate of steel. The fixture had a dowel pin at the center that acted as an axle. I made a rotating detail that slipped over the center axle and had a notch for a 1/16" number punch at the appropriate radius and punch width. I glued a paper pattern on the sheet metal blank to mark the number positions. I doctored up the image below with lines from the center hole through each number extending out past the numbers. Pasted in the same numbers out beyond the extended lines so I could read them (if that makes sense).

It worked pretty well, pick up a '0' punch (for example), and rotate the fixture around to each '0'. The rotating punch-holding fixture had a tick mark that was lined up with the '0' lines on the paper. Tap the punch with a hammer and rotate to the next '0'. Repeat for each number. I scribed the protractor circle on the lathe and did the tick marks with a Dremel engraver.

I probably had around 15 minutes into each one, only made up 5 or 6 of them to test the market. And as you have guessed, at least at the time, there was a VERY small market. I did sell them all, but it took over a decade (at $40 a part). That being said, with the CNC, this part would be pretty simple to engrave. Might be another POTD!

Would it still be a dud? Probably, as these parts were only used in 1924 - 1927 and only in the largest set sold in each of those years. On the other hand, as I am now retired, I have a "flexible schedule"! The easiest way would be to convert the jpg image to a DXF file and engrave it on the Tormach; you've got me thinking!

Bruce

1677075418259.png

Last edited:
You obviously come from an engineering/managerial background because you are always keeping track of your time per unit. I am often afraid to know how long it takes me to do the many processes it takes to do my stuff. I do know that it would take me 40hrs to make a run of 20 from scratch. Now with all the upgrades like laser cutting, making my own pneumatic forming jigs for the 9 different model and doing powder coat myself I can crank out 80-90 units in around 30-40hrs. So every time I do an upgrade trying to just get some breathing room it's always taken up right away by increased sales. So just by my seat of the pants figuring there just ain't no $$ in one off stuff.

When I first started having stuff laser cut the co would let me mix in a couple of the super custom designs I got talked into and didn't charge me too much extra. But the co was a mess. And the supposed CAD guy was the owner who really had no clue and was impossible to work with. So designs would take forever and edits were next to impossible. So that was all lost effort and just a waste. Then I was recommended this laser cutter co by one of my dealers and it truly was night and day. They TOTALLY knew what they were doing and the design that had been stalled for 6mo was right and in my hands in 2wks! But, they had a tiered system for individual different designs so no longer could really afford the super customs. Most times like with your degree wheel part I would only sell 2-3 a year. Just didn't seem worth it. I also quit doing one off customs because they cut into my production time of my real bread and butter, my dealer orders. Not being a businessman all this has been learned by real world feedback.

My "fun" now is designing and building the custom machines that it takes to do this quicker and easier. I think if it ever gets real and is affordable my big investment would be a Tesla bot. :)

Last edited:
Back