Er32 chuck for my 11 inch Logan

Chris Hamel

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I decided I wanted to make a chuck for holding er32 collets that would fit on the spindle of my 11 inch Logan. I found an er32 holder that attached with a flange on eBay.20220404_153655.jpg I then took a round chunk of aluminum and machined it to screw on the spindle of my lathe. This was quite a chore since my spindle is 2 1/4" x 8 tip. In addition to that the last half inch of the spindle is not threaded and is actually a bit oversized. 2.310". I kept at it and ended up with a nice fit. I mounted the piece on the spindle and trued up the face and the OD. I then bored about a .200" recess that fit the OD of the er32 adapter. Since i machined it with it mounted on the spindle, I knew it had to run true. The er32 adapter came with three holes tapped with metric threads, so I planned to drill them out to fit 1/4" bolts. I found out the steel was hardened, so I used 10 -32 bolts instead. (They fit inside the threaded holes.) I'm not worried about whether 10-32 is strong enough since the recess is doing all the work.20220404_160531.jpgI chucked a piece of 1/2 " rod in it and checked the runout. Somewhere around .001.

thats a lot of material. I would think you want to reduce the amount of space between the front of your spindle to your er32..
but that's me..

thats a lot of material. I would think you want to reduce the amount of space between the front of your spindle to your er32..
but that's me..
I thought that also, but did not choose to say so, but yes; it may not effect function, but it does not look right.

Looks fine to me!
10-32 steel bolts (metric is certainly no stronger) will hold hundreds of pound in shear per each.
The rim is captured, so just like you said, it's gonna hold things in place. You're just holding it inside the hole - that takes all the radial pressures.
How much does it need to hold? Simple: however tight the collet can get.
Chances are, your workpiece will spin in the collet LONG before you shear off those bolts.

Looks fine to me!
10-32 steel bolts (metric is certainly no stronger) will hold hundreds of pound in shear per each.
The rim is captured, so just like you said, it's gonna hold things in place. You're just holding it inside the hole - that takes all the radial pressures.
How much does it need to hold? Simple: however tight the collet can get.
Chances are, your workpiece will spin in the collet LONG before you shear off those bolts.
And if that is not true, you could be wearing it, I suspect the manufacturer sized it to the stated size for some reason.

How did you drill the holes in the aluminum adapter for the screws to ensure that the holes were concentric?

I tapped on the adapter to make sure it was seated and then I used a transfer punch.

Last edited:
Back