ER collet torque

Taking this slightly off-subject but not too much.
In another post (which off course I can't seem to locate...) someone mentioned having extra nuts for their ER32 collet chuck.
Is the nut a known standard?
I have two imports, one with a R8 that I use in the BP and another with an MT3 shank that I use on both lathes.
I've been chewing on this for the 'wish-list' thinking that it would be nice to have the collets already setup in the nut to save time.

I was going to sacrifice my collet wrench from the ETM set that has that head on it, and set it up for my torque wrench. I'll see if I can find that one.

But not for $111.00.....

In another post (which off course I can't seem to locate...) someone mentioned having extra nuts for their ER32 collet chuck.
I have two imports, one with a R8 that I use in the BP and another with an MT3 shank that I use on both lathes.
I've been chewing on this for the 'wish-list' thinking that it would be nice to have the collets already setup in the nut to save time.

I saw that one too. That was a first for me, I had never heard of anyone having spare nuts & collets to save time on changes. I usually see people having entire spare chucks already setup. I have a second ER-40 chuck for this reason & cause I got a good deal on it from a member that used to be local to me.

But as far as I know the threads should be a standard but not necessarily the outer dimensions of the nut. I have used various brands of nuts on all of my ER chucks which are also various different brands, they all fit & worked.

I might could see that in a production environment where time is money, but not for me personally as a hobbyist. To each his own, but I'd rather spend that money on something else that I don't need but can't live without. ;)
The nuts have standard threads for each ER size. There are different style nuts, though. For instance, I have 2 styles of ER32 nuts, the "plain" one that came with the chuck and I also bought a bearing nut that makes torquing it down easier and more consistent. Some nuts also have different grooves around the periphery for wrenches.

My ER32's are supposed to be done up to 100 lb/ft as I change cutters on the mill I did some measurements a couple of years ago and the best I can get is around 80 lb/ft. Never had anything come loose or slip so I guess FT is good enough for manual use.

Make your own er collet adapter post #137:

Roy

Back