ER collet torque

Here is a nice little mill project for torquing your collets. It is one of the first things I made years ago. You may have one, just sharing the idea.

There are bench top mounted jigs for this purpose for other collets but I’ve never seen one for the ER type collets. And everyone has a vise.

This little jig gives you something to torque against and not torque on your machinery or hold with another wrench.

Mill it to match the collet body with a loose slip in fit. And with a lip on it to be able to just drop it in the jaws and not have to take any time to align it and squeeze it in the jaws

The vise is only there to slightly snug in the jig and not to clamp the collet body in it. No need to have the collet body tight you are just going to tighten the nut.

Keep it handy with your collet set, drop it in the vise and torque it down

A4AAFA79-BE6A-4457-850F-1EC3A9038F25.jpeg3AE34D65-D4BB-4DC2-A805-DCEB0F2A97C2.jpeg838C6AD9-D60A-4B2F-9540-7C624F81FB85.jpeg6339AE7C-5009-4BE5-9686-400A05C678A8.jpeg

Last edited:
To check the actual torque you need a torque wrench. I was in Harbor Freight yesterday and saw this digital torque adapter for the wrenches you already own. It also comes in 3/8.

F89204DA-67E8-41A7-805F-95B5FA57A32C.jpeg

Then with the collet wrench you already own put a 3/8 or 1/2 inch square near the top leaving enough room to put on the wrench.

Can cut the square hole with or without a mill. Draw the square then drill a hole in the middle and square it out with a file. ***NEW TOOL OPPORTUNITY ALERT*** If you don't already have a small triangle file that would fit in this hole can order one of those to square out the hole then have it for your tool collection. Could cut off the handle of the collet wrench short or just leave the handle on to use it without the torque wrench.

For about $30 you can know the torque. Probably less searching Amazon for a torque adapter.

Last edited:
Just a FYI. The torque adapters for ER chucks sold by Techniks and others is made to fit a 16mm spigot torque wrench. The one Techniks sells is made by Norbar. These wrenches have a round tip with a spring-loaded ball on one side that fits into a hole on the torque adapter. There are torque adapters to fit almost any ER chuck nut out there but you have to have the torque wrench to use them ... irritating.

I use the old school method, As tight as you can get it and one turn tighter

Back