Engraving /Micromachining tool holding advice needed.

Ebay will take 10% cut. Have your dad pay with PayPal and have Steve ship to you. No biggie - Steve seems like a nice guy :)

I'm building a Quorn tool and cutter grinder which uses a couple of magneto bearings

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm also building a Quorn. Only a complete idiot™ would orient the wheel-side bearing as shown incorrectly in older versions of the Hemingway drawings. I'm, uh, told that it really doesn't work well that way, no matter how careful you are with the machining.

Just in case you're also making one per the Hemingway drawings, the correct orientation is with the open sides of the bearings facing the end caps at both ends.

Wow, that's quite a drawing fail! Thanks for the heads up, I've actually been working from the original book as I stumbled across some super cheap castings on eBay a while back.

Nah, it’s actually an very small and easy mistake to make in the top level assembly view. I should have caught it if only I’d thought a little harder about how it must work.

I’m think Prof. Chaddick’s original also used magneto bearings and a spring-box design. Just remember the open sides face outwards.

Flynth, no, I don't need it, I have 3 more just like it and enough projects to choke a horse right now. The unit weighs about 912 grams as it sits. No idea what shipping something like it would cost?
If it could fit into a usps small size box (8-5/8" x 5-3/8" x 1-5/8") it would be around $40 (slightly less or more) to ship using Priority Mail International (flat rate). Probably if I found one like that on ebay I would bid up to $35 as well if it was possible to measure runout in advance and it was around 2 tenths or less. If it wasn't possible to measure runout I woul probably bit $20 on it. Please don't be offended if this is way too low :) One of US members could probably offer more as shipping would be a lot less.

If you are interested please pm me. We could use paypal etc. If it doesn't fit into small box next size up costs 80$ and is 13-5/8" x 11-7/8" x 3-3/8" or 11" x 8-1/2" x 5-1/2". That is a bit too much IMO.

same as mine, mine is the big one it was about $220 of amazon with collets and some bits but i got it hooked up ready to go using easal from inventables i had it ready to go and it said turn on spindle so i did i went back and it could not find the machine and i cant get it connected to it and i dont know how and i cant figure it out :( and yes all of the cables are connected maybe should not have bought the cheapest one

Braeden, if you would like to give it another go pm me or start a new thread (maybe in questions and answers section). It shouldn't be difficult. I haven't used easel. I use software called candle. It is very simple software that is used to control the mill manually, load a g code program etc. If you could at least get it working in candle I think easel is likely to work if you're currently having a driver or connectivity problem.

Candle should be on the usb stick that came with the machine or you can download it from here https://github.com/Denvi/Candle/releases It is probably better to use one from the usb stick as it should match the machine's software version. If you need help lets take this to a new thread or pm. Please bear in mind I'm in a different timezone so my replies will come late/early for you :)

Last edited:
If it could fit into a usps small size box (8-5/8" x 5-3/8" x 1-5/8") it would be around $40 (slightly less or more) to ship using Priority Mail International (flat rate). Probably if I found one like that on ebay I would bid up to $35 as well if it was possible to measure runout in advance and it was around 2 tenths or less. If it wasn't possible to measure runout I woul probably bit $20 on it. Please don't be offended if this is way too low :) One of US members could probably offer more as shipping would be a lot less.

If you are interested please pm me. We could use paypal etc. If it doesn't fit into small box next size up costs 80$ and is 13-5/8" x 11-7/8" x 3-3/8" or 11" x 8-1/2" x 5-1/2". That is a bit too much IMO.

Braeden, if you would like to give it another go pm me or start a new thread (maybe in questions and answers section). It shouldn't be difficult. I haven't used easel. I use software called candle. It is very simple software that is used to control the mill manually, load a g code program etc. If you could at least get it working in candle I think easel is likely to work if you're currently having a driver or connectivity problem.

Candle should be on the usb stick that came with the machine or you can download it from here https://github.com/Denvi/Candle/releases It is probably better to use one from the usb stick as it should match the machine's software version. If you need help lets take this to a new thread or pm. Please bear in mind I'm in a different timezone so my replies will come late/early for you :)
Works fine in candle but not easel so I will make a new thread

Back