Engraver

I found the name of the engraver. It is a Scott Engraver.

Here's a link the their website. www.scottmachine.com

Of course, they don't make the bowling ball engraver anymore. I do remember seeing it in one of the older catalogs when I bought mine almost 40 years ago.

Ken

Another unorthodox use for that engraver that may not be readily obvious to some is to replace the cutter with a grinding bit and use the machine to grind/form the profile on a form tool cutter. A single point involute gear cutter perhaps? Sure!
You have to first design a template to the profile of the form tool so that you would be able to use it as a guide for the engraver stylus.
You could then adjust the engraver to a certain scale that would effect the correct profile size on the cutter tool that you wanted to grind.

It's not just for lettering.
The limits of your creativity and imagination would determine the many possible uses for that pantograph engraver.

Got an old ball around? Let's see how that bad boy works! :jester:

It is a pantograph and the best cutter to use is an 1/8" 4 sided ground to a point carbide blank then you touch the tip to just make a small single flute on the tip. I have used these things for all kinds of stuff. Engraving reverse part numbers and info into mold cavities and even tracing a model with probe and cutting an insert or making an entire mold cavity with one. this was a mich ;larger pantograph though. Very cool and handy to have.

Back