End Mill Set?

PHPaul

Registered
Registered
I did a search but most related posts are quite old and I expect there's more current information available.

I'd like to buy a set of HSS end mills for my Grizzly benchtop. Say 1/8 to 1/2 by 16ths or something similar. I got a set of TiN coated cheapies with the mill (bought it used with tooling) and they don't cut NEARLY as well as the half dozen HSS mills that also came with it.

Within reason, I'm in the "buy once, cry once" crowd.

Brand names and sources appreciated!

I have had dismal luck with HSS end mills. If you work exclusively with aluminum, you will probably be okay. I have completely switched over to carbide end mills, which I usually purchase on auctions or from members on this site. I am not much help with recommending a set, so I apologize.

HSS endmills are hit or miss. I have 4 ten mm endmills from China about $12. Just switched to the second one after a year. Lots of 1018 and 6061. Wish they were all that good! Other then junk lots on Ebay I buy carbide. I would not buy a set of sizes. I use 3/8, 1/2 & 5/8" all the time. Some 1/4" 2 & 4 flute some of the time. If I have to be perfect 1/4", I use a 3/16" endmill. I use cheap HSS 1/8" endmills in a collet about once every month or so. My advice is to slowly go carbide one at a time. You will be much happier. Part of the problem is length. I use 3/4-1" cutting length 90 percent of the time. The rest of the time I need 1-1/2" or longer.

US made I've had best results with- especially with HSS
I would just pick up a few at a time as I needed them
Often you can find estate sale lots of new and nearly new on Ebay- save $$$

AFAIK, you won't find sets of the good stuff. Sets are geared to the hobbyist, the big boys don't play that way. Buy them individually, 2 or 4 at a time for the smaller sizes.

+1 on buying lots off eBay.
Another +1 - I've never seen quality endmills, of any material, sold as a set. I'll second Winegrower in that YG-1 (YG) cutting tools are great, and good value for the money. I'd probably invest in a couple 1/4" & 3/8" endmills and buy whatever else you need as projects require it. 3/8" should be a good 'work horse' size for most benchtop machines. If anything get a 2-flute and a 4-flute. If you're open to trying solid carbide, "Speed Tiger" from Amazon (Taiwanese, I think) is as good as anything I've used, including domestics.

GsT

FWIW, I bought a set of eight import 4-flute end cutting M42 end mills from Enco about 10 years ago, which have held up well for me, as strictly a hobbyist. I have since replaced the more commonly used ones, e.g., 3/8" and 1/2" with Hertel (Korea) ones.

I also bought a set of ten import 2-flute end cutting straight HSS end mills from Grizzly (G9757) which I use strictly on aluminum and brass. I've had good luck with them also.

The nice thing about a set is that the lesser used sizes are there when you need them and last forever with their occasional use.

Like others, I also have a one-flute and a two-flute 16mm indexable end mill which I use for heavier cuts in steels.

Last edited:
Back