End mill organization?

How to physically store the end mills is not a concern. My original question was, what methodology for organizing do the members of this site use? Does it make sense to separate by diameter, or by # of flutes, or by HSS vs Carbide, High or Std. helix?

It really depends on the individual, how many EMs they own, and how they work, eh?

I don't mind digging through a box of 30 mills to find one that's the right size and grind, sharp, etc. I only separate 2&4 flute, balls, and tapers/chamfers. So I rummage through one bin if it's alloy, another bin if it's steel, and a third bin if it requires a special profile. That's easy for me and doesn't break my flow, but some people prefer to have ten mills of every size sharp and ready to go in a special drawer. That's cool too, but I'm not going to put in the time to do it, because I don't feel like I need to. For me, sometimes the right end mill to use is the one that's mounted in a holder already. Besides, I wonder about those guys who spend hours sorting stuff like that instead of doing pressing work. It's not in my time budget. I also have a thousand drill bits in coffee cans. Makes it easy to find one. Okay, I separate the Morse from the Silver and Demming, but them's apples and oranges.

... I don't mind digging through a box of 30 mills ... also have a thousand drill bits in coffee cans. ...
You realize you've just given a few of the vapours, right? ;)

OCD? No, thanks, I just find it oddly satisfying to sort and categorize things. And make inventory spreadsheets. And use colour labels.

Craig

Unlogic, I really like what you did there. Did you use a hot wire to cut the foam? This gives me an idea for my sockets drawer.

Also, top pic, bottom row, 5th end mill has a threaded end. What is the purpose of this feature? I've found a bunch of end mills in my collection that have a threaded end.

Thanks, imagineer!

I've used kaizen foam for both versions.

The slots on the top photo are made using steel pipes that I cut off and welded small handles to. I then heated the pipes using a gas torch and melted the foam with them.

The slots on the lower photo are made using just a sharp knife to cut the foam instead.

I've used kaizen foam for all drawers in my garage, it really helps when it comes to keeping things organized.

Reactions: tjb

Ohhh myyy... those end mills are so colorful! I looked and looked, and the best I could find was these, so I ordered two dozen for my empty drawer:

71FzrTG1p-L._SX679_.jpg

I 3D printed some holders and filled up the top of th cart with commonly used and carbide/non carbide. All other goes in the drawer along with other things loke counter sinks. The bottom is filled with accessories for mill/lathe such as stady rest, chucks, dividing head etc.
Screenshot_20230109_172136_Gallery.jpg

Attachments

• 20220411_121447.jpg
    20220411_121447.jpg
    352.6 KB · Views: 3
Back