Enco Import(interstate) Vs Shars Quality

Got to thinking. Bridgeport has made a #1 and #2 boring head that are well made and have severed me well. I especially like the big easy to read graduations on their dials. Don’t know what shanks you need? The Bridgeport R8 shanks can be unscrewed and changed. The #1 is at the top in the pic…Dave.
boringheads.JPG

I have an Enco 2" boring head purchased around 30 years ago. I recall paying around $100 for it back then. I can't speak to what's being sold now, but am very happy with my Enco. I have purchased many small items from both Enco and Shars. Stuff like end mills, boring bars, inserts, drill chucks, etc. I've never had a problem with either one of them.

Bruce

The Bridgeport boring head has a different thread. I let mine go several years ago, but it seams like the thread was something like 1-7/16-16 or 20 thread. It's not the common 1-1/2-18 thread found on most.

I've bought two used Criterion boring heads in the past that turned out to be damaged. Both have been in a wreck and the integral gib separated from the housing. This is real easy to do if taking too big of a cut or if you run the boring head into something solid. I plan on making a new gib to take the place of the damaged one in the future. Right now, I have too many projects to finish before messing with the boring head.

As for the import boring heads I have both a 2" and 3". I've gone in and given both a "tune up" to make them a little smoother in operation. They work for most of the things I have a need for. And if I really want to get fussy, I'll pull out one of my Chandler boring heads and use.

I built my own boring head :)

I was emailing Shars about a dial indicator I have from them, although it was out of warranty they were very nice and professional. You get what you pay for when it comes to import tooling, generally it's serviceable but no import tool is as enjoyable to use as a real quality item.

Back