Enco 12x36 Lathe Rebuild (Picture Heavy!)

New lathe user question. I have an Enco 110-2031 and the spring loaded pin in the bull gear that lets you direct connect to the step pulley pops right back out when the motor starts moving. Have you encountered anything like this? there is only like a 32nd of an inch maybe between the step pulley and bull gear, so I cannot see much. I can hear and feel it snap into place when I line up the pin and the indicator line on the pulley. But it never stays in place.

New lathe user question. I have an Enco 110-2031 and the spring loaded pin in the bull gear that lets you direct connect to the step pulley pops right back out when the motor starts moving. Have you encountered anything like this? there is only like a 32nd of an inch maybe between the step pulley and bull gear, so I cannot see much. I can hear and feel it snap into place when I line up the pin and the indicator line on the pulley. But it never stays in place.

Mine snaps firmly into the bull gear pulley with perhaps 1/4" of engagement or more. The fit once it is in the hole is very snug with no discernible play. It is possible that the hole on the bull gear pulley has crud in it, or most likely, someone turned the lathe on with the pin not in the hole and sheared the tip of the pin off.

You can use the Grizzly G9249 (nearly identical lathe) exploded parts diagram to look how this pin assembles. It wouldn't be complicated to fabricate a new one or order a replacement from Grizzly. I am concerned that doing so might require pulling the spindle which is a headache that I have not attempted.

Last edited:
Mine snaps firmly into the bull gear with perhaps 1/4" of engagement or more. The fit once it is in the hole is very snug with no discernible play. It is possible that the hole on the bull gear has crud in it, or most likely, someone turned the lathe on with the pin not in the hole and sheared the tip of the pin off.

You can use the Grizzly G9249 (nearly identical lathe) exploded parts diagram to look how this pin assembles. It wouldn't be complicated to fabricate a new one or order a replacement from Grizzly. I am concerned that doing so might require pulling the spindle which is a headache that I have not attempted.
Thanks for the info, sounds like you're probly right. Do you think there's any chance I won't have to take the whole spindle, pulley and gear assembly off the lathe to replace the part?

1588627259596.png

From a quick look at the exploded parts diagram...

Parts 119, 122, & 123 make up the pin. 123 looks to thread into 119 and squeezes the spring 122 between them. From this point of view, it looks to be like the locking pin (123) must be removed from the bull gear on the side facing the pulley. I hate to say it, but it kind of looks like pulling the spindle might be required to access that.

Spindle repair is totally doable, but get the right tools, make a very clean workspace, and plan ahead with a written procedure.

I could also be wrong and it is possible to remove it from the front of the bull gear without pulling the spindle.

View attachment 323240

From a quick look at the exploded parts diagram...

Parts 119, 122, & 123 make up the pin. 123 looks to thread into 119 and squeezes the spring 122 between them. From this point of view, it looks to be like the locking pin (123) must be removed from the bull gear on the side facing the pulley. I hate to say it, but it kind of looks like pulling the spindle might be required to access that.

Spindle repair is totally doable, but get the right tools, make a very clean workspace, and plan ahead with a written procedure.

I could also be wrong and it is possible to remove it from the front of the bull gear without pulling the spindle.

Where would I get a hold of a written procedure?

Where would I get a hold of a written procedure?

You write it :D

No seriously, just look at your lathe and the exploded parts diagrams, figure out which parts are going to come off, which might spill oil or send a spring flying, then write it all down.

This way you know which tools you need and have a plan of action.

If you do pull the spindle, it might be a nice time to replace the spindle belt too. You can’t get a new one in without removing the spindle or putting in a link belt.

I’m happy to chat with you to come up with a plan here. Shouldn’t be too bad.

You write it :D

No seriously, just look at your lathe and the exploded parts diagrams, figure out which parts are going to come off, which might spill oil or send a spring flying, then write it all down.

This way you know which tools you need and have a plan of action.

If you do pull the spindle, it might be a nice time to replace the spindle belt too. You can’t get a new one in without removing the spindle or putting in a link belt.

I’m happy to chat with you to come up with a plan here. Shouldn’t be too bad.
You also mentioned the proper tools, what special tools do you recommend?

You also mentioned the proper tools, what special tools do you recommend?

Hmmmmm Let me think
  • (2) Spanner wrenches that fit the spindle jam nuts
  • Wood blocking for the bed ways when the spindle comes out
  • Flat blade or scraper to remove spindle bearing sight glasses
  • Cup or tray (I used aluminum foil) to catch spindle oil from sight glass holes
  • Metric allen wrench to remove the spindle front cover and gasket (104 & 105)
  • Dead blow or lead hammer to gently tap spindle to remove
  • Perhaps a fixture with a threaded rod and pull plates to apply force to the spindle to remove rather than whacking it with a hammer
  • Spare belt
  • Dial indicator and mount (tenths preferable to measure TIR and endplay)
  • Mobil DTE ISO 68 spindle bearing oil and funnel
  • Gear puller kit if required
Rough steps in my mind... (Remember I've never done this) TAKE LOTS OF PICTURES AT EVERY STEP. This is a super helpful habit because inevitably you'll not know to look for something during disassembly and you'll have a picture to save you. This is important for parts which need to go on a particular way.
  1. Remove chuck and clean bedways
  2. Measure spindle TIR inside the spindle on the MT5 taper and write it down.
  3. Clean a large area of work bench. I like to tape masking paper down to create a very clean work area
  4. Use spanner wrenches to remove spindle jam nut
  5. Remove spindle oil sights and drain oil
  6. Remove spindle front cover and gasket
  7. Remove spindle gear (use gear puller if needed)
  8. Remove spindle rear cover
  9. Use long threaded rod and plates to pull the spindle out the front
  10. Carefully remove rear bearing with gloves and place in clean plastic bag
  11. Slowly pull the spindle forward removing components one at a time from the headstock and placing in labeled plastic bags
  12. Don't loose keys 106 & 107
  13. Remove spindle entirely. Leave front bearing in place. Cover in Saran wrap.
  14. Remove belt from headstock if desired
  15. Repair locking pin. If you don't have another lathe or a mill to fabricate a replacement then buy one ahead of time from Grizzly.
  16. Clean all parts and headstock thoroughly with degreaser or isopropal (rubbing) alcohol. Oil generously with Mobil DTE. Make sure to use lint free wipes on the bearings since any fibers can cause runout and bearing wear.
  17. Begin reassembly in reverse order
  18. Triple check that you have installed everything and it is in the correct order. The pulley should spin freely on the spindle and the bull gear should not.
  19. Install the rear bearing. It might require some sort of pull plate fixture to press back onto the spindle shaft. I would think it would be a firm sliding fit but I don't know. Don't go too tight.
  20. Install spindle gear. This too may require a pull plate fixture
  21. Install locknut #1. Adjust to lightly snug. Measure spindle TIR and endplay.
  22. Adjust locknut #1 to bring endplay to .0001" or so. The spindle should be rigid but still able to be turned easily by hand. You probably don't want it loose enough to spin freely. This can be adjusted later
  23. Install locknut #2 and use both wrenches to firmly jam them together
  24. Install front cover and gasket.
  25. Fill to sight level with oil
  26. Run in spindle. It should reach a steady state temp that is slightly warm to the touch. It should not get hot. If it does, back off on the jam nuts.

Further inspection indicates that the front bearing is in fact an angular contact ball bearing. The rear is a tapered roller bearing. This might mean that the bearing is a firm sliding fit in the front housing of the headstock and a press fit on the shaft. I wouldn't remove this from the shaft.

Both bearings will be directional. Make sure you get them back in the correct way.

Be gentle with the bearings. Replacing them will cost you $100.

Here is the manual:

Here is the grizzly spare parts site. I got my missing change gears from here:

Macardoso
I added one of the link belts to the motor on my lathe and it sure smoothed it out. Also with the new jones+smith I had to move the capacitors to a box on the back of the head stock because with them on the motor it couldn't be lifted high enough to easly switch the belt on the pulleys. Found a small bucket that fit the back of the motor so it got hacked up until it slide up around the motor hopefully keeping swarf out ot the motor.
I am still looking at building a chip guard but so far its still a plan.
Jim

Last edited:
Back