Enco 111-2079 no start

The inching/ jog button doesn't do anything, unless I hold the power start button down and hit it. It then the spindle will turn counterclockwise as you look at it from the tail stock.

I think you are definitely on to something with the apron switch. I can hold down the power start and lift the switch up and down and nothing else happens

220V is likely a month away, and this is only 1.5HP hoping to keep it versatile as my friend may want it once I get it running and only has 110 as well.

I have operated the lever, the switch seems to be working correctly, only allowing the KM1 contacter to engage when it's in neutral. Nothing else is happening though.
I have a similar machine and when I got it was wired for 110v. It ran when I picked it up from the seller but after bringing it home the electrics proved to be unreliable.

Since I’d already switched my other lathe to 3phase I knew that’s what I wanted to do. Cost me around $350 but no more contactors, transformers, relays, etc. just power it on and go with infinitely variable speed control.

I still have a few more tweaks to do to the controls but it’s working good so I’m not in a hurry.

Mark will help you figure out the existing controls but 3phase w/VFD is one of the simplest and best modifications you can do to one of these machines IMHO.

John

Going back to basics
has the emo button been pulled out?
has the green button been pushed to get a green light?
both of these need to happen before the power lever on the apron will work

Mark will help get it sorted. But, for the long run get your shop hooked up with 240v and start looking for a reasonably priced 3phase motor.

John
Amen on that. Got my old Enco running on a VFD as well

Going back to basics
has the emo button been pulled out?
has the green button been pushed to get a green light?
both of these need to happen before the power lever on the apron will work
EMO is pulled out (nothing happens with the KM1 when EMO is pressed).
The Power indicator on the right is.missing the cover and bulb (see photo) and the Power Start button doesn't light up at anytime, even when holding it down.

Attachments

• PXL_20240130_002253182.jpg
    PXL_20240130_002253182.jpg
    272 KB · Views: 3
Wow, what I wouldn’t give for an EMO button on my lathe. Mine goes straight from PUNK to METAL without anything in between ;)

John

Let me take a look at the diagram, in the mean time try to get the cover off the apron switch so we can access it
It's over on the left by the gearbox at the end of the control rod

So to review: Apron in neutral. You push power start, KM1 pulls and latches. Jog button works as long as apron switch is in neutral.
Moving apron lever up or down nothing happens but KM1 stays latched until Estop is pushed.
Correct so far?

Last edited:
KM1 does not stay engaged. It only stays when the power start button is continuously depressed. While depressing Power Start I can hit the Inching button and the the head will turn, but only as.long as I'm holding the button. If I hold Power Start and try the run the apron it doesn't work.
I'll get a video showing the contactors with me explaining what buttons I'm doing later today. Hopefully around lunch time after the kiddos nap.

Back