ENC VFD on a Lathe

You know this thing has 6 different run modes, right? (fig. 5-1, pg 43)
I think we need to know which mode you're in- probably the upper freq can be set for any of those six

Last edited:
Mine has a max output as well as an upper limit frequency.

View attachment 479922
The ENC is extremely flexible in its configuration capabilities. The major difference between yours and the ENC is that your instructions are written in words that English speaking people understand. The problem is figuring out what their descriptions of functions actually mean. Sometimes it’s very obvious and other times they’ve used words that didn’t translate to the same meaning in English as they did in Chinese. Additionally, as pointed out about, I’m not sure what run mode the VFD is set for at the moment.

You know this thing has 6 different run modes, right? (fig. 5-1, pg 43)
I think we need to know which mode you're in- probably the upper freq can be set for any of those six
Yes. I went out on a limb, figuring that it mode no sense to "lock" the panel buttons for a factory reset to defaults and did an F00.14 0,0,0 reset. It's working as it should but at 50Hz max. All of the buttons work as expected so no idea what "locked" meant. It looks like the Jog mode is only operating as a result of pushing the jog button and I have verified that it works. Jog is set up as a factory default. I reconfigured the ramp up speed and power off coast to stop so it's working as the factory intended.

I went though the Detailed Function Specification, found the parameter number in the Function Parameter Schedule Graph and verified that each run mode was set to "0" and disabled by default so if I'm understanding Fig. 5-1 correctly the default is the common run mode.

I did find one section last night that looks promising but have not attempted any changes using these parameters:

F01.11 Frequency.JPG

A little success! Setting F01.11 to 90.00 and F01.12 to 30.00 gave me the speed range I wanted. It would still be nice to set the default to 60Hz.

Last edited:
More success. Mark, I really appreciate you sending me on the right path to figuring this out. It turns out that the VFD has defaults for using X1, X2 and COM to use an external fwd/stop/rev two wire control (two wires plus common). That's the same as I set up on my mill. The same very long list of Xx parameters allows one of them to parallel the stop command with whatever configuration it already has. I haven't implemented the parameters yet but identifying what to do was 90% of the job.

That's right I had noticed back in post #9 that they have a default X1= forward and X2=reverse but of course you could
assign them any way you want- any of the Xs can be used for any of the 92 functions, it's totally user configurable.

When you get the switches connected you'll need to find/flip the setting(s) for remote operation vs. local

Last edited:
Already made myself a 4 page cheat sheet on how to change the parameters. I’m off to docent the final dry dock tours of the last Dreadnought battleship, USS Texas today; will resume this evening.

Last edited:
Got sidetracked with mechanical work on the lathe but it looks like the oil pumping station behind the chuck has been shut down. Running it for 2-3 minutes was resulting in about a 2 tablespoon oil loss through the bearing cap. It was very loud at high rpms. I wasn’t terribly worried about it because it sounded just like my other lathe when I set the change gears too tight. After cleaning, fresh grease and setting the clearance it’s massively quieter.

Enough of the off-topic rambling. More closely related to the VFD, I had to repair the foot brake before setting it up in the VFD. Welds in the mechanical linkage had broken previously and were repaired poorly. Once the brake arm and pedal were repaired I removed the “micro” switch to change it from normally open to normally closed. I know that sounds backwards but the foot brake arm in its normal position presses the switch button in so it has to be open when the brake is in its resting position and closed when the pedal is depressed, releasing the switch button. New 20 gauge shielded wire was run between the switch and the VFD, The switch was returned to its place, the VFD parameter set and the brake was tested. It worked exactly as expected. I tried it several times at every speed just because it was so satisfying.

About all that’s left for the first phase of electrical work is to set up the spindle control using the original shaft and lever. I should be able to accomplish that in the next day or so.

The second and hopefully last stage is to install power switching. Right now I’m turning the power on/off at the breaker box. The breaker box is only 10 feet away but I want the power to be controlled at the lathe. The primary option that comes to mind is to install a contactor that can be switched by the original power switch. Alternatively a 2 or 3 pole switch could be installed but I really like using the original switches. After thinking about it for a while the flood coolant pump will probably not be used; at least not until a need arises.

Great news! For a brake function normally closed is safer anyhow- switches tend to fail in the open position in this universe

DONE! A HUGE "Thank You" to you, Mark, for greasing the rails on this project! Your patience and assistance led me down a good path. After a while the manual started to make more sense. Once I started keeping the basic information open beside the detailed information and bounced between the two, the parameter configurations were easier to understand.

This evening I got the spindle control rod and switches wired to the VFD and enabled the FWD/STOP/REV as it operated when the lathe was a pure 3 phase machine.

My goals were to have a speed range of 50% to 150% of the 60 cycle speed, to have the foot brake work as designed and to enable the spindle control lever. It all works perfectly without buying any new components.

I still need to install power switching at the lathe but that's not complicated. Currently power is controlled by a circuit breaker which works but it's less convenient than a switch at the machine. I'm thinking about installing a 3 pole contactor with a 120V coil. That will let me use the factory power switch and connect the power pilot light. I really don't want to hang any sort of control box on the outside of the machine. After thinking about the maintenance involved with a flood coolant tank I am not going to connect it at this time. Kool Mist dispensed with a spray bottle or misting nozzle is so much easier to maintain.

Back