Emco Compact 8 dimension request

I found a pic way back from when I picked up this little thing. I've had this hardware sitting around way too long. I never did figure out what that brown powder was.

It appears that the long flat idler arm and cam is set up to allow belt v-belt tensioning when driving the spindle either from the intermediate clutch/cogged wheel (as shown) or when driven directly by the motor. That appears to make sense looking at the belt position graphic on the headstock. That's my guess, as I haven't had it running.

Flat belt tension appears to be adjusted only by motor position up or down the side of the bed. Motor mounts are slotted.

When I get a chance, I'll measure the centerline position of the idler arm mount hole and the cam/handle hole on the plate. I haven't had a chance to look over the on-line schematics to see if I can find the idler arm.

TomKro

EmcoC8Arrival_31Dec2019.jpg

If you look on the "parts direct" link, there is a horizontal scroll bar to move thru different images. Look for "Lever Assembly".

Steve,

I grabbed a few more pertinent dimensions, but haven't had time to sketch anything up. Hopefully these will help with your idler mechanism layout.

The centerline of the pivot point for the idler arm is approximately 1-5/8 inch right, and 9/16 inch down from the cogged pulley center point. I get a plate hole of about 0.600 inches. The boss on the pivot arm riding in this hole is about 0.592 inches.

The centerline for the "plug" of the cam lever is approximately 3.0 inches right, and 3/16 inch down from the cogged pulley center point. The hole in the plate for the "plug" is about 1.456 ID. The diameter of the plug surface riding in this hole is about 1.455 inch. Note that the wave spring looks to be 0.020 inch thick brass, 5 waves, with an ID of 1.290 inch and OD of about 1.795 inch.

You may have to make changes to the idler arm geometry to accommodate changes in your cogged pulley dimensions, but at least you can layout the original approximate geometry as a starting point and adjust from there.

TomKro

Fantastically helpful Tom!! Thank you so much!!! I'm so buying you some beers if ever get to your neighborhood:applause:

Glad to help. The closest I usually get to California is when we visit our son in Seattle, but I do appreciate the offer. If you're ever in Aberdeen Maryland, stop by for a sip of Bourbon.

As to changes in geometry, I keep forgetting that the idler impacts mainly the small v-belt sheaves. I think your biggest changes were the cogged belt dimensions, so hopefully you don't have to change too much from the original layout. Probably just have to watch the position of the inside edge of the idler and your flat belt.

I'm off to round one of the COVID shot. My wife and I are not 65 yet, but we joke that we're a walking list of "co-morbidites", so we were able to get on the schedule here in Maryland.

Happy chip making.

TomKro

I was born on your coastline , but near Boston, left when I was 3, and have only been back there once about 12 years ago, then when I got home I wasn't feeling quite right , long story short, I was diagnosed with Leukemia (AML). Here I am now at 65 thanks to some very good Doc's, and just got my first shot 2 weeks ago, the last one on the 7th:<) Yes sir, we are making chips!! I thank you again and I believe you are right about watching that position. A little "vertical lathe" roughing....baby steps:<)

Attachments

• Resized_20210330_091340.jpeg
    Resized_20210330_091340.jpeg
    447.9 KB · Views: 21
Groovy!! Going to be a spell for the slots, my machine is occupied with a real job:<)

Attachments

• Resized_20210331_091110.jpeg
    Resized_20210331_091110.jpeg
    393.3 KB · Views: 11
@Steve-F your work is awesome. Did you happen to draw/model up the parts your're making in CAD? If you did it would be awesome if you could make them available for download. I may have to follow in your footsteps. No Compound and no tail stock on mine, I've been watching ebay for a while. Just found this site today. not sure how I didn't find it before.

Thank you Pmzielinski! I took the day off , but let me get back to you tomorrow when I am at work and have access to the files there . Wonderful folks here that have helped me in a huge way and I would happy to share what I have!

Back