Electronic edge finder.....

Cactus Farmer

Active User
Registered
Well, I bought an edge finder off the computer and I was so excited to possibly being a tad more exact with my work and I RIP it out of the box and TA-DA it has a 20mm body size. Geeeze , you would thing they are selling in the good old USA and can't figure out we are still using English measurement stuff. I found (thru Google) they make 20mm R-8 collets for $6 plus the obligatory S&H but come on...........I am tempted to tape a pencil stub on it so it won't roll off my desk and have a dandy paper weight. BTW, NO WHERE in the add did they mention a size. I just assumed (yea ,I know the jingle) it would be at least an English size. Rant off, we will now return you to your normal programing.........

I've got one of the same ones and bought a 20 mm R8 collet too. On the plus side my DRO switches between metric and English at the push of a button. Switch to metric, touch off (tone and light are nice), then offset for the 5 mm radius ball. Used the metric one once to justify buying it. I normally use a Boreite 3/8" shank x 0.200" diameter electronic now. Only has a light, but works great. Naturally only good for electrically conductive materials.

Bruce

@Cactus - I think I may have the very same edge finder (from feeBay)! And I went thru the same agony when discovering it needed a 20mm collet. I did get a collet - leave the edge finder in it as that is all it is for, and find the finder is a very very useful item. I used it with my LMS 3960 and will continue now on the 5500.

BTW - Suburban Tools has some excellent videos on You Tube and he has one about edge finders. Take a look - the electronics are only as good as the collet concentricity, but more than adequate for the work I do. And with a DRO - it is sweet - no desk-ornament for my shop! :)

Well, I bought an edge finder off the computer and I was so excited to possibly being a tad more exact with my work and I RIP it out of the box and TA-DA it has a 20mm body size. Geeeze , you would thing they are selling in the good old USA and can't figure out we are still using English measurement stuff. I found (thru Google) they make 20mm R-8 collets for $6 plus the obligatory S&H but come on...........I am tempted to tape a pencil stub on it so it won't roll off my desk and have a dandy paper weight. BTW, NO WHERE in the add did they mention a size. I just assumed (yea ,I know the jingle) it would be at least an English size. Rant off, we will now return you to your normal programing.........

Back