Electrical Question

Firstram

Registered
Registered
We are setting up shop for the next 2 months on a show. My air compressor has a 7 1/2 hp single phase 208 volt motor. The power in this building is running a little high. I'm getting 130v from all lines to N and 230v from line to line. Thats a smidge higher than the 10% rule, will I let the smoke out if I don't buck the volts down?

I think you'll be OK. Those are some odd voltage numbers. Is that a 3 phase 208 system in the building?

I think you'll be OK. Those are some odd voltage numbers. Is that a 3 phase 208 system in the building?
It is supposed to be 208 and they are strange #'s. The voltage has been the same for the last week so I don't think I was reading a spike. I'm more worried about getting a spike and cooking the motor!

My voltage here was running 250 - 255 for months until they changed the transformer. Didn't cause any problems.

It was running some 208 rated equipment, but I was running everything on single phase.

Generally under voltage is much more problematic. Less voltage means more current. More current means more heat, proportional to I^2 x R.

Here is a good explanation on 208 vs 240 volts. You need to scroll down a bit.

Back