Ebay’ed some used mic’s

Man, I’m lucking out on these eBay mics guys. Got another winner. Same as the last, perfect condition other than minor frame corrosion. This one’s missing the standard but I’m gonna try to score some from our gauge lab. They have a whole drawer of extras. Excited to see the last one now. Really expected to get burned on at least one.
8207810B-AF18-4B38-BA6C-8F4B70D99628.jpeg

Regarding batteries.

There are the cheap ones, 5 on a card for 5 bucks, alkaline or ???

The there are the good ones, 5 bucks each, cannot remember the chemistry.

Our MIT had the expensive one in it, the hf had the cheap one.

Be sure you use the better battery.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Last one of the bunch and all it needed was a drop of oil. Perfect shape. I’m very happy. I don’t expect them all to be that way in the future but I’m definitely ok with trying eBay again.
ACDA2E2D-0B29-4433-BEF9-E89231517BBA.jpeg

I spent a couple of hours yesterday evening rebuilding five ebay dial indicators. One was a desirable 0.0001-reading Lufkin with a 0.200 of travel and three hands. The main problem with it from ebay was that the hands were not zeroed reasonably, and balancing the hairspring preload with the rack engagement was fiddly. But there's nothing like a classic three-hand tenths-reading indicator. Most people use dial test indicators for reading tenths, and those usually have a travel of maybe 8 thousandths. This one is a bit worn on the inside, but seems to repeat to 0.00002 or so.

IMG_0262-dsqz.JPG

(Having had this one apart, I really don't know what makes it "shockproof"--the pins are certainly not running under spring-loaded cap jewels the way the balance wheel would be mounted in a shock-resistant watch. But the movement is really jeweled properly.)

Another was an Ames Model 262 0.001-reading indicator that had been dropped and thus had a tooth on the gear between the rack and the central needle pinion that was deformed. I was able to straighten it and now it works perfectly. The hands on this also did not point correctly.

IMG_0261-dsqz.JPG

This large Lufkin was the dog of this batch. It was terribly beat up and worn. It repeats to the thousandth, now, but I wouldn't trust it beyond that. The worst feature was that the contact point is broken off, so I'm going to have to try to extract the remains of the screw, or (more likely) make an extension and epoxy it on the top to provide a new place for a tip to screw in. But it's big!

IMG_0260-dsqz.JPG

And, finally, this pair of Mitutoyo metric indicators with a 10mm travel. I bought these as a pair (and there are still plenty of these pairs available on ebay) to put into my new Boring Research tramming tool, which was a blem that came without indicators. I don't normally work in metric but for tramming it just doesn't matter. One was sticky but both needed cleaning. They came without contact points, however, and all mine are 4-48 while these are M2.5, so I've ordered a couple of carbide tips from Amazon. I will use this for tramming in my drill press, but mostly for aligning the milling attachment on the lathe when I get that restoration completed. That's why I wanted matched indicators--it just makes life easier with this device.

IMG_0259-dsqz.JPG

I have $187 in these, including the tramming jig and two other indicators still on the cleanup pile.

Rick "not buying for daily full-time production use" Denney

Those are nice! You sound like you know your way around the insides of a dial indicator. Nice haul and nice job on the repairs. I have one that needs cleaned and lubed soon that I might need to pick your brain on. Thanks for sharing.:encourage:

Those are nice! You sound like you know your way around the insides of a dial indicator. Nice haul and nice job on the repairs. I have one that needs cleaned and lubed soon that I might need to pick your brain on. Thanks for sharing.:encourage:
Protect the face and crystal, remove the back and use denatured alcohol in a spray bottle. FLood it, work the rack up and down to get the oil out of it. Turn the exposed back down on a sheet of paper and let it set for an hour or two or until dry.
NO oil, WD40, or any oil like substance is needed. Drop indicators are made to work dry.
In the 30-35 years I worked in metrology I bet I cleaned a thousand sticky non-repeating indicators oiled within an inch of their lives by loving well meaning machinists and inspectors, only to have some of them returned the next day lubed again. :cry:

One tiny drop of instrument or watch oil on each jeweled bearing will make it last a lot longer than running it dry. But I apply it with a needle oiler so it’s less than a drop.

Rick “lighter fluid works for dissolving the old oil and grease, too” Denney

I read this thread last week and then got a project that I needed a 5-6" mic for.
So I followed your lead and looked on ebay.
I have had 0 - 5 Scherr Tumico mics for nearly 50 years so I searched for that brand and found one.
There were cheaper prices on some older brand name mics - BS, Starrett, etc but I liked the idea of it matching my other ones so I paid a little more.
Scherr Tumico tools were built in St. James, MN.
It even has the same clunky, wooden case as the others. It came with the standard too.
It should be here on Valentines day.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230211-031512.png
    Screenshot_20230211-031512.png
    957.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 2023-02-09_08_38_38.jpg
    2023-02-09_08_38_38.jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 12
@Ultradog MN Cool, let us know how it turns out. I like the idea of having matched sets too. I know that won’t always be possible but it is satisfying to some degree. Of course, pics are always a plus!

Last edited:
Back