E-stop Recommendations

rrjohnso2000

Registered
Registered
I'm in need of an e-stop, so many to choose from. Does anyone have some firsthand recommendations for a quality meets value one?

It will be used on a bench to kill power to whatever hand tool is plugged in.

You might want to look at http://rick.sparber.org/ssw.pdf

Rick was gracious enough to include one of my articles on his website. This is an easy way to convert a Decora wall switch to a safety switch for 110 volt applications. I've used it pretty frequently in and around my shop, as well as on an electronics workbench in my home.

Yes, it has its shortcomings ...unlike a relay-based "magnetic" switch, it will remain on through a power failure. But it's easy and inexpensive to make for yourself. Enjoy!

It seems a bit odd to need a E-stop on a hand tool. Normally they have a ''dead man'' switch anyway, but I'm not going to question your motives.

If I needed a positive stop on a hand tool I think I would go momentary contact foot switch, step off of it, and the tool stops. There are a number of vendors that sell them, including Harbor Freight for about $14.

As far as E-stop switches go, most are rated for pilot duty only, in other words, low current applications, generally around 6 amps maximum. Not really designed to switch loads, but rather designed to switch relays. For a power tool I would want a switch that was rated at 15 amps or better @ 120V. The highest current rated E-stop switch I was able to find is 10 amp, from China, so I would take that rating with a grain of salt.

An E-stop switch that operates a relay that actually switches the load would be the way to go. That way you could use any E-stop switch.

Not really for a bench. For my byrnes hobby saw on a cart. Would like an E-stop for when I change blades, instead of unplugging it.
IMG_2461.JPG
I have some relays and a build box set aside for it. I have limited experience in this area so I though I would ask for some recommendations.

I have recently sworn off Chinese parts again, terrible replacement small engine carb, but with a recommendation I would feel better. Thanks

I have wired all outlets (Even 240v) in the shop to wall switches at the proper ratings. When I need a tool or lighting, I use the switch to power them. When I leave the shop, all switches are turned off and I need not worry leaving stationary tools plugged in or any electrical problems while I am gone or little kids getting into trouble (Though my kids are grown up now).
Each outlet and switch has the number of the breaker feeding it on the cover.

*I had previously had a motion sensor wired to "lock in" relays that turned the entire shop on when I entered and when leaving just reset power to it. I found this inconvenient when I would just step in for a moment.

E-Stop switches are normally used as panic buttons. For your purpose, an ordinary electrical switch would work. I would recommend wiring a light into the circuit so you have visual confirmation as to whether your controlled circuit is alive or dead. An E-Stop switch looks the same in either circumstance at a casual glance.

Another option is a LOTO (lockout/tagout switch. These are used in industrial settings to prevent inadvertently powering up a circuit when someone is working on it. They will handle your power needs. If you are really concerned, you can place a small padlock in the switch to prevent unauthorized activation.

Not really for a bench. For my byrnes hobby saw on a cart. Would like an E-stop for when I change blades, instead of unplugging it.
OK, a couple of alternatives:

(1) The very FIRST use of my paddle-and-Decora switch arrangement was on my Ryobi table saw. I used a piece of Lexan for the paddle. kHPIM4055.jpg

(2) Go to http://www.grizzly.com/search?q=(switch)
The first two switches shown are inexpensive paddle-type switches (easy to use for panic stop), and include a safety feature. Remove the yellow piece, and the switch can't be turned on.

(3) Further down on the same page are several switches labeled "magnetic." These have the added feature of NOT restarting the tool if power fails and then gets restored. There's one (H8240) on special right now for $10. Note that the e-stop mushroom has to be rotated to restore function, and that the switch includes an enclosure. Easy peasy!
http://www.grizzly.com/products/110V-Magnetic-On-Off-Switch/H8240

How about mounting a power strip on your cart? They can had with a switch on them and a circuit breaker built in? They can be had cheap , I used one on a bench and just killed the power with its switch .

Just unplug the table saw!

All the years I had my table saw, I always unplugged the saw when changing the blades or whatever. The old Craftsman table saw had a switch that the line coming from the motor plugged into the side of the switch. I'd unplug the motor at the switch when changing blades.

Back