E-brake Mechanism

planeflyer21

Registered
Registered
Big question for everyone.

A friend has a beatup old Lexus SUV. Old enough to be on par with Fords and Chevys now.

At any rate, I'm intrigued by the emergency/parking brake engagement. It is a foot pedal. Press down on the pedal and there is no ratcheting click as with other e-brakes. To take off the e-brake you step on the pedal again and it rebounds to the full up position.

Does anyone know what type of locking system they use? Would it be possible to scale it down? Actually, since I don't know how big it is, that question doesn't really matter.

Thanks!

Hi planeflyer,

I've have access to an automotive database, but I need more than
old Lexus SUV

The Lexus model numbers make no sense to me, I dunno if they mean a micro-mini or a semi-truck!

I have looked up a 2005 IS 300 sport cross, a 1996 SC 300, and a 1990 ES 250. I only saw braking systems that resemble any other North American vehicle braking system that I am familiar with.

-brino

I have that car. I never really looked at the ebrake mechanism. I guess I will.
R

Well I just found out they are getting their garage demolished Thursday, so they will be parking the Lexus at my bro-in-law's. I can probably take a good look at it there.

I'm thinking I want to reproduce the way it locks.

Go find you a disc and caliper from a smaller motorcycle maybe even a four wheeler. Should fit the bill.
Somewhere out there on the web, a guy added a disc and caliper to his headstock spindle on his lathe. It appeared it work out nice with a foot petal setup to activate the brake.

Go find you a disc and caliper from a smaller motorcycle maybe even a four wheeler. Should fit the bill.
Somewhere out there on the web, a guy added a disc and caliper to his headstock spindle on his lathe. It appeared it work out nice with a foot petal setup to activate the brake.

I don't need or want the brake mechanism.

I want the locking/release mechanism from the actual pedal. Nothing to do with the brake. Like I said, there is no separate release handle.

Step on the e-brake to lock it in place, step on it again to release it.

I've run across that same setup on different vehicles. Always thought it was kind of cool, but never curious enough to crawl underneath the dash to look. Good luck in your search, and please let us know what you find. Mike

Hi planeflyer,

I am still looking for a picture/description of the pedal mechanism.
Certainly the rest of the braking system looks "familiar" to me.

I am not sure about your description of "no ratcheting click" as the document says:
ScreenShot027.jpg
If I find any more about the pedal I'll post back.

-brino

Thanks Brino! It may make a clicking sound. It certainly isn't as prounounced and LOUD as in my Ford Ranger.

Back