Dust Collector Hose

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I bought a used Torit Donaldson dust collector for the shop. I need to get some hose to set it up. It has a 4" air inlet.
Any suggestions on resources for hose and accessories?

Depends on what kind of dust you are collecting, metal grinding dust, metal chips, wood or all? Generally, it is best to run rigid metal duct for most of the system and only use flexible hose if absolutely necessary. Also design the system with as few turns as possible as they reduce airflow, avoid elbows, sweep bends are best. Plastic pipe and hose will generate static so grounding wires should be used if going that route.

Only metal grinding dust.

Maybe grinding dust will work out OK, but I have been disappointed with the performance of 4" ducts on metal chips. I have a 2.5" shop vac and hose that works well, even with long curly chips.

I've had problems with swarf blockages in my shop vac hose. I sometimes have to get out the drain snake to bust it up. Maybe smooth pipe will work better but if it was me I would install some cleanouts here and there, just in case. Or maybe that's standard practice?

It's not volume that carries particles in an air stream, it's velocity. To increase capture velocity and capture distance, and to maintain transport velocity and entrainment, use smaller hose. 4" is huge, go 2-3" and you'll get better results given the same motor power.

It all depends on the cfm of the unit. Too small and you choke the fan and you get a compressor stall like effect. Dust does not need a lot of flow verses long stringy scarf. Smoother the piping and less airflow lost and less debris settling out on the air stream.

Grizzly and Rockler have a lot of dust collection hose, tubing, and fittings.

Only metal grinding dust.
Then you don't have to worry about the hose having internal ribs, which is a problem with chips and shavings. Like John said, reducing the diameter will increase velocity and thus effectiveness. Another thing to keep in mind, if sparks might be present you might consider adding a spark arrestor/trap as metal dust can ignite.

Back