Dumore toolpost grinder

tcweb

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I picked this up recently. What model is this? I see lots of "model 5" and "model 11", and "model 44", but never "5029A" as listed on the tag. Looks as if the shaft may be replaceable with differing lengths?

65254841400__BED95A05-D3E5-4085-B878-B71850B66377.jpgIMG_1547.jpg

I need a belt. I measured and it looks to be a 20.5" length. I see someone else here had a post linking to SOPKO, and they do seem to offer a 20.5" x5/8 belt. Any idea how much it'll cost? I'll call them when I get a chance. [edit: It's $21 for a 20"x5/8" belt"]
65254845995__9F6352D7-066C-42A2-955E-CEDC845152ED.jpg
I also have an issue with the power cord It was really cracked and falling apart. I carefully removed it, leaving as much as I could (that wasn't crumbling!) sticking out of the motor housing. Recommendations? The previous owner had cobbled an electrical fitting to the motor housing (see pic below) and had wrapped it in a ton of electrical tape. Best to take the motor apart and see about finding a proper fitting for the hole? Is there a trick to removing the brushes? seems like the brush caps are starting to deteriorate (seem like they are softer material - rubber like) and won't unscrew. Not sure if replacements are easily found. Motor works though!

Lastly, any decent sources for grinding wheels? I'd mainly use it for truing up chuck jaws, but could do some OD grinding in the future as well. IMG_1592.jpgIMG_1591.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1546.jpg
    IMG_1546.jpg
    578.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
@tcweb McMaster Carr also sells belts made in sizes to order.
if it were me, I would unscrew those caps doing whatever it takes. Then I would unscrew the motor screws and pull the endbell off.
I would replace the wire up until the brushes.

BUT I tried that with my Themac and was unsuccessful in getting the motor apart. So you gets what you gets. Good luck.

Not sure how that motor comes apart but it's likely to be a BEAR to get open. Unfortunately that's usually what's required to do a proper cord replacement- take your time
-Mark

Interesting thread here... I'll be watching and learning. Here's why:
Eight years ago, I got a 1944 vintage Logan Model 820 lathe. It came with much tooling, some of which I still haven't ID'ed.
But one piece is an old Dumore toolpost grinder, in similar condition to what Tcweb has described above. Mine also needs a belt and power cord overhaul.
What model is mine? I'll look when I get access to the cabinet it's in. At the moment my garage is barely accessible until the drywaller/painter and the plumber finish some repairs and I can move things around.
I'm totally unfamiliar with tool post grinding, but it might be useful for me. Whether or not it's worth restoring my Dumore to serviceable condition is questionable, I know the motor runs, but needs a belt and the wiring replaced.
I'll check back in a few days on this.
Greg

I have a source for the belts - company based in cleveland, OH makes them for $21. Not too bad. They look much beefier than whatever came on the grinder. Power cords are cheap and easy...I just hope I can get the motor apart and find a clean way to repair it.

I've used a similar grinder once - to true up a 3 jaw scroll chuck that had too much runout. With older chucks (hobbyists finding them at barn sales) I think the toolpost grinder is worth having around.

@tcweb on those beefier belts. the original on mine broke, and I replaced it with a beefier belt. it gets very hot. it will slip off after long runs.
this is due to the small size pulley, and the speed it runs at. running it with the lighter belt it does not do this.

so find out how much beefier, and take note. I am sure a little beefier would be fine.. but a lot beefier... NOT. YMMV

I'm asking one of the owners of the company for more specs on their belts. They seem like a good family owned business.

EDIT: Their belts are 1/32 to 3/64" in thickness. Apparently they are a supplier to the Dumore factory!

Last edited:
Back