Dumb Question re: Control Power Supply

Any help is much appreciated. This question has proven to be hard to google, which is why I’m assuming it must be a dumb question. But I don’t know what kind of dumb: dumb because it’s obviously easy? Or dumb because it’s obviously impossible?
It's not a dumb question at all. There are (older, off brand, ...) poorly designed DC supplies where the DC ground is referenced (connected) to the N input. This can put your DC neutral at 120VAC (not good) when connected to U.S. 240V. Any modern DC supply with a label should not have this problem but there are historical cases where it can cause bigtime issues.

Often the little slip of paper that comes with the supplies will note that you can connect L1 and L2 to L and N.

In the U S, 240 volt residential is a 'split phase' or center tapped transformer. IF there is a good, solid GROUND to the secondary panel, you will have 120 volts from either line to ground. The 'neutral' is grounded at the service entrance. (meter can) That's not to say you can get 120 volts power from one line to ground, that would be illegal. And would cancel your fire insurance if ever found. Be so advised. But for trouble shooting, both Delta and Wye connections at the transformer are referenced to a 'neutral' which is usually grounded both at the pole pig and at the service entrance. Read the line to ground for both lines. They should be very close to the same. If there is a wide difference, there is likely a loose connection somewhere.

24 volts is common for industrial instrumentation. As is 240 volts. In the early days of IBM desktops, the power supply had a switch for 120 volt or 240 volt ranging. Since the negative was (and likely still is) grounded to the frame, two supplies seriesed would need to be insulated from each other. I have done this many times over the years. How is not important, it's a technical stunt that involves electronic expertise. The relevant point is that it is an industry 'standard' that low voltage supplies be grounded on the negative side. But that ground is for safety reasons and misuse can (and does, often!) lead to ground loops. As Murphy says, ground loops go from bad to worse. There is no good, or even acceptable, ground loop in instrumentation. The end result is that some supplies will have either direct or ranging connectors for low or high voltage. That should be a reference in the advertisment for a particular supply.

That's why you would use a floating ground in a control loop. Or one reason I should say.

This is all good info, I appreciate it. Even the history lessons, Bill!

I'm a tech guy, into this hobby for a couple years. Most of these topics are starting from zero for me. Learning is the journey and the fun, but electrical topics are usually tougher than machining topics for me. With most electrical topics, I would never "figure it out eventually", ya know?
I [think I] know enough about electrical concepts to have made my own rule: I never make assumptions about electrical work. I don't guess. I don't "just try it". When I do learn a new electrical concept, it's just as often counter to my logic as not.

Anyway, Google and Youtube are great. But these really specific topics come up occasionally, where you simply have to have the experience/knowledge to know the answer. You guys are invaluable and much appreciated for these instances.

Back