Dual Purpose Bore Gauge

projectnut

Registered
Registered
As many already know this last weekend I picked up 3 Takachiho Seiki bore gauges. Unlike my other bore gauges where the measuring head is integral to the tool these use an independent dial indicator. These like the others were designed for imperial measurements. That being said I was wondering if by interchanging the current imperial indicator with a metric indicator they could be used to measure metric bores. I realize I'd need to set them up using metric master ring gauges rather than imperial ones, but by making those changes I would think they should be capable of measuring metric bores.

I realize the probes are in imperial lengths, but with the multitude included in each set I would think there would be some that would easily work in the metric world. Has anyone ventured down this path before, and if so, what were your results?

Not being familiar with these gauges off hand, only the general principal of them.... I've got to second that. Inches are defined by the meter, and it's a finite, exact value. There is no absolute rule that you must zero an indicator on "zero". If you have a ring gauge that's ( for example) 1.000000000 inches, it will also be exactly 25.400000000 millimeters. It's a "dead nutz" conversion, so you can absolutely set your bore gauges to be just as accurate as your rings. It just doesn't land on zero, it lands on whatever the standard (ring gauge) is.

don't see why it wouldn't work. As long as there is a 1-1 motion between the probe in the bore and the thingamabob that moves the indicator. The indicator units are a don't care.

I don't convert anything. I use a Starret Chart (below, free on site) for direct numbers. In my case I turn down to oversize and the measure with a metric indicator or mic. I see how oversize it is and go to chart. It tells me for X mm that it is .xxx Imperial and I dial it in.
In you case you add the Metric numbers together for a total number. Then you know exactly what you want vs what you have. Using a Metric Mic and Metric Gauge blocks and Imperial Gauge blocks, it hasn't let me down. Print the chart out as two separate sheets and place back to back in a plastic sleeve. You will picking them up multiple times.

Attachments

• Starrett Metric Equivalent Card (Bulletin 1318).pdf
    116.7 KB · Views: 13
Back