Drum switch wiring help

tawas23

Active User
Registered
First off I know little about wiring so plz be patience with me on this one ..need help wiring my drum switch ..on the motor 1/4 hp it runs counter clockwise now and on motor sticker it says reverse red and blk wires to run clockwise ..here are pics of what I have ..just need a simple way of connecting my wires with my drum switch 1)White 2)black 3)blue 4)green ...plz refer to these numbers for my wires or color ...

motor.jpg motor 3.jpg motor 2.jpg

tawas,

There are dozens of configurations for drum switches, only some of which will reverse a single phase motor. The way that the terminals on yours are numbered and laid out, I would suspect it may be good only for 3-phase reversible and single phase non-reversible motors. You need to locate and post a photo of the wiring or schematic diagram of the switch.

Second, an externally reversible single phase motor will have five wires coming out of it (one being the green ground wire), not four. The green wire will tie to the motor frame and the switch enclosure (not actually to the switch. Line would normally be run into the switch (three wires counting the green ground wire) and connect to two terminals on the switch. Five wires would come out of the switch (counting ground) and run to the motor. The four working wires from the switch would be connected to L1 and L2 in the motor plus you would have to cut off the female spade connectors and splice the third and fourth wires from the switch to the black and red wires in the motor. You can't connect those wires to the male spades as those will tie internally to L1 and L2.

Robert D.

LOST ..so this motor cannot be use to run forward and reverse ..but lost at every thing you just said

LOST ..so this motor cannot be use to run forward and reverse ..but lost at every thing you just said

It can. You'd have to disconnect the red and black wires from the terminals and splice wires to them to extent them over to the switch. You'd also need to run wires from terminals 2 and 4 to the switch and a wire from the L1 terminal (ground too, of course). The power cord would go to the switch. How to connect up the switch, though, depends on it's wiring diagram.

after doing alot of reading Iam going to do myself a favor and have someone do this for me to confusing and cannot understand it to save my life ..thanks for trying to help ..

disconnect red wire at motor terminal L2,
disconnect black wire at motor terminal 4.
extend the red wire to drum switch terminal N2
extend the black wire to drum switch terminal C2

install a wire from drum terminal C3 back to motor terminal L2
install a wire from drum terminal N1 back to motor terminal 4

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REVERSE DIRECTIONS WHILE MOTOR IS IN MOTION.

i hope the info helps out.

disconnect red wire at motor terminal L2,
disconnect black wire at motor terminal 4.
extend the red wire to drum switch terminal N2
extend the black wire to drum switch terminal C2

install a wire from drum terminal C3 back to motor terminal L2
install a wire from drum terminal N1 back to motor terminal 4

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REVERSE DIRECTIONS WHILE MOTOR IS IN MOTION.

i hope the info helps out.

If I understand you correctly that will reverse the motor but won't stop it. He'll need a seperate on/off switch. That would be an odd way to use a drum switch.

If I understand you correctly that will reverse the motor but won't stop it. He'll need a seperate on/off switch. That would be an odd way to use a drum switch.

i don't think you understand me correctly,

the drum switch is a 3 position, the center is off(open) it would in effect break the neutral leg to the windings,
if the motor is wired to a machine, most likely it already has an on off switch.

Last edited:
tawas,

No, I said that you would have to make a simple modification to the motor (remote the red and black wires instead of plugging them into the motor circuit board) but the motor could be made externally reversible (i.e., controlled for both ON-OFF and FWD-REV from a remote switch). As far as I can tell, you only attached three photos, two of the motor and one of the switch. Correct?

Mike,

See PM.

Robert D.

Last edited:
i don't think you understand me correctly,

the drum switch is a 3 position, the center is off(open) it would in effect break the neutral leg to the windings,
if the motor is wired to a machine, most likely it already has an on off switch.

I believe that terminals L1 and L2 are internally connected (via the thermal cutout) to one of the windings (probably the aux, by way of the cap and cent. switch). You are only removing power from one winding.

In any case, you should never shut off a piece of equipment by interrupting the neutral and leaving the hot connected.

Last edited:
Back