[Newbie] Dro

Coomba

Active User
Registered
I would like to get your thoughts on a DRO. I just put a down payment on a PM450G. They can install one on it, but the cost is 600 bucks, five if I do it myself. This will be primary a hobby mill, and I just don't know how much I'll need a DRO. All though, I could use one now on a flywheel I'm making for an IC engine. As hobbyist do you guys use them, more or less?

I would hate to use a mill with out a dro.:no no no: It sucks counting turns of the hand wheel.:headache:

Very convenient and most every one that I have used are independent of the lead screws which eliminates the backlash problem, can't comment on a 2 or 3 axis DRO for $500.00 however as it wouldn't buy the X axis scale for a 15" lathe let alone the control. If you become accustomed to them you will LOATHE going back to the dials in every way so make sure that you buy one that will last.

Many feature presets for tool diameters, will calculate bolt circles and angles and have other calculators built in. Yesterday I used a Bridgeport manual knee mill that my employer recently bought at an auction, it has a DRO that doesn't work, had to use large channel lock pliers to loosen the dial locks as they had never been used in this machines life as it came new with it.

DavidH is a member of this forum. He sells iGaging scales and has a recent ad up in the Classifieds. I especially like and recommend the "Absolute DRO" series.. They have nice, large displays, which have a clever stacking feature. You can mount several on one arm (included with each DRO). David's prices are the lowest I've found. I've dealt with him several times On the few occasions I've had problems, his support has truly been "above and beyond."

His longest Absolute scale is 38" It sells for $119. So you should be able to equip your mill with all 3 axes for well under $300.

If you search the forums, you can find lots of DRO installations on mills.

Dials, what are dials? ;^) I love DRO's eve cheap ones are better than many "dials"

Chuck the grumpy old guy

Last week I miscounted turns on my mill and drilled a chuck adapter hole in the wrong spot.
I wish I had a DRO,
Soon I will have a DRO.

Last week I miscounted turns on my mill and drilled a chuck adapter hole in the wrong spot.

I got in the habit of double checking with my scale after miscounting a couple of times. You are correct, DROs are great, but I worked for most of my career with out them. Was pretty good at counting turns.

Last edited:
Get the DRO. Money well spent. Makes things go so much faster and more accurate. Also, pay the $100 to get it installed. That was a huge headache and took me tons of time for my ocd to let it be ok when installing. I'd pay $100 to not do it again.

I would have them ship it with the extra $600, professional install and get it overwith. It is better to have one and the Pro install is worth the $100

Back