DRO scale on the front or back edge of the table?

Mine is mounted on the front of the table. There were no stops to remove, which made this an easy decision. Also, the scale is too short(12 inches)' I made a long t- nut to fit the slot on take front, mounted a surplus Schneeberger slide. The scale can slide left and right quite easily, so there are stops to prevent damage to the scale. There is a brake attached to the plate that the scale is on, that prevents the scale from shifting until I desire.

This is what I use on my little mill. its simple and easy to remove. takes all of 10 mins to make (thats if you are a
bit slow like me)
Don't know if it will work on a B P though.

P1012306.JPG
Brian.

P1012306.JPG

If you mount the scale on the backside, if you don't have a positive stop on the column, either drill and tap and add one, or remove the existing stop and add a longer one so the "Y" axis while cranking won't run the scale into the column.

On my Lagun, the scale is mounted on front, so I have to make sure I put the vise on by standing at the back of the table so as not to set the vise on the scale. The only downfall I find with the scale on front is the loss of the table slot. I don't often use the slot, but if you have a long part and need to add holes in the ends, that slot came in very handy for toe clamping parts to the front of the table. I don't have any slot in the back, so anytime I have to drill the end of a long part, I have to square up my angle plate, bolt it down, the clamp the part to the angle plate. But the extra "Y" travel outweighs the clamping of the alngle plate.

Back