DRO scale cover

MyLilMule

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I added a Ditron D80 DRO to my Bridgeport. The scales did not come with any covers. Although I don't think it 100% necessary, I'd like to add covers to keep the chips off of them. I don't have or have access to a sheet metal brake or I would make them myself. I've tried searching to see if anyone on the interwebs sells or makes them, but can't seem to find anything.

Any ideas?

Everbilt 1-1/2 in. x 96 in. Aluminum Angle with 1/16 in. Thick comes in different sizes available through HD, Lowe's, Amazon, etc. around $20 for 4-6'.

I agree with mksj, Aluminum angle is a good way to go. I just finished the X and Y scale covers for a PM833TV which is new to me and used aluminum angle however I used the 0.125 thickness just to be a bit more robust and I also welded end caps on.

I am only a few miles from an On-Line Metals warehouse and can pick up via will call at no shipping cost. As a result, I can normally come in below the big box store prices. I used the 1.5-inch X 1.5-inch for the Y axis and the X axis I cut a 2 inch by 2 inch down to 1.625 inch by 2 inch to enable the chip guard to be covered with my configuration.

Although I feel the 1/16 inch is adequate the 1/8 inch will take a bump and keep on going.

Good luck in getting your scales covered.

Attachments

• 20220527_161543.jpg
    20220527_161543.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 20220527_161556.jpg
    20220527_161556.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 28
I agree with mksj, Aluminum angle is a good way to go. I just finished the X and Y scale covers for a PM833TV which is new to me and used aluminum angle however I used the 0.125 thickness just to be a bit more robust and I also welded end caps on.

I am only a few miles from an On-Line Metals warehouse and can pick up via will call at no shipping cost. As a result, I can normally come in below the big box store prices. I used the 1.5-inch X 1.5-inch for the Y axis and the X axis I cut a 2 inch by 2 inch down to 1.625 inch by 2 inch to enable the chip guard to be covered with my configuration.

Although I feel the 1/16 inch is adequate the 1/8 inch will take a bump and keep on going.

Nicely done. Thanks for the ideas, fellas. I'll run up to Lowes tomorrow and pickup some 2". I'll have to trim it down to 1-5/8 as well because I don't want that much sticking out the back.

I guess that means I need to fill the argon tank.

I fabricated covers from aluminum angle. To pieces back to back and fastened with rivets are a simple solution. Various sizes of 1/16" thick alngle are available at most DIY and hardware stores.

Did you TIG the end caps on?

Yes, I did TIG the caps on and just sanded the ends down and softening the edges a bit.

Back