DRO Recommendations for Bridgeport

David

Active User
Registered
Thought I would ask! I was wondering what would be the most reasonable (cost, ease of installation, functionality) DRO for a bridgeport. I just completed the restoration and thought this would be a good time to do an insall. It is a 1958 J-head 9x42. Still trying to post some pictures for those who might be interested.

Hi David (good name)
My preferences are Meister and Sino off ebay, you can get a 2 axis for around $420 posted (around 7 days)and 3 axis for around $550 posted (same 7 days).
I have bought 2 Meister's and a Sino years ago and am happy with them all. I have also never heard a bad word about either seller in all the years they have been selling. If you worried about sending your money, paypal looks after you and you can get a refund no problems at all, but you wont need it as these guys have a great reputation.

The Sino is a multi machine DRO, so you can set it in lathe mode on the mill to set angle up accurately using the taper function. Both readouts do all the things other do and to get any more gadgets (not needed)you will have to step up to the newer Newell's etc. Things like Bolt hole circle, ark machining, holes in a strait line, diagonal line, etc etc are all in them.

I have not heard a bad word said about the DRO Pro's either, but as Ed said they are more expensive for the same thing, that probably comes out of the same factory with a different name on them. The same goes for Grizzly, just more expensive.

If you where going to put it on a lathe I would have recommended a Sino as he will up grade to slim line scales for around $20 per axis and will also up grade to 0.001mm scales for another $20 per axis, DRO Pro's want $50 extra for 0.001mm scales, but on a mill 0.005mm will be fine.

Personally I would go for the 3 axis on a mill, why have a DRO on the table, but have to set the depth by dial, you would soon wish you had got the 3 axis.
Most people put a caliper style scale on the quill, but I bought an extra scale and swap it over depending on the job, but it will cost around $150 for the extra scale.

To this day I have never had a problem with any of my readouts or scales, the electronics are that advanced I doubt I ever will.

Dave

Davo, possibly the nicest, quick review of products Ive ever seen in a forum. Ive often wondered about those cheaper DRO's from E-Bay, and now would feel better about buying one. Thanks for your input on them!!

Mark

Thanks for the complement Mark, I am glad it will help you out.
The difference is night and day between a DRO and dials. It is true what everyone has said in relation to once you own one you will wonder how you did without it, they cost a bit first off but are brilliant.

Dave

In the mid price range, I put a DROPros 3-axis on my Bridgeport clone. It has all the features of the expensive ones and has been a great DRO. They provide great documentation and good service. I'd buy another from them if I needed one.

http://www.dropros.com/

If price is your main concern take a look at Shooting Star. It is gear drive and some don't like that, but it works. I had one on my Sharp mill for 8 years. It was a great unit. The one time I had trouble with it, Shooting Star sent me a brand new X axis for free, about 2 years after the warranty had expired. They are great folks and provide a good product.

http://www.star-techno.com

Randy

Thanks for feedback! Lots to think about. How do you determine or what is rule of thumb sizing the DRO scales on a
9 x42 mill?

I bought one of the sinpo 3 axis dro's off ebay and it was a very simple install other than drilling and tapping the mounting holes in the mill. I have had no issues with it and when I purchased it there were options for the scales to fit specific equipment. When in doubt measure your axis travel to ensure you get the correct scales.

Back