Dro Problem?

randyjaco

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have an old Enco /Sargon glass scale DRO on my lathe. The Z scale has a dead spot on it about a foot long. I have scrutinized the scale. There are no cracks, scratches, blemishes, etc. on it. Do I just chuck it in the trash or is there a possible fix?

Thanks
Randy

Hi Randy,

Have you tried swapping the scales on the inputs to the readout? that would eliminate the readout itself: assuming you have, it's worth first checking the tram of the scale, put a DTI to read any deflection (in both directions) as you move along the scale, ideally there should be NO deflection, in reality a few thou" is tolerable. If there's a bow or twist in the scale it could be enough to change the alignment between the read head and the graticle on the glass, which could stop it reading the quadrature signal correctly. Similarly, if there's anything that could deflect the read head that could be affecting it.
It's even possible that the cable to the readout has gone intermittent and that dead segment is where it loses continuity, could try bypassing the cable temporarily with a piece of Ethernet stranded-core *patch* cable (although that would need a bit of soldering into the correct plug, probably opening up the read head to get to the other end).
As far as repair, if it's reading correctly for part of the range of movement it implies that the read head itself's good, I doubt the scale glass can be repaired although *gentle* cleaning may remove any dirt that's built up without damaging the graticle (which should be etched/engraved rather than printed).

Just my ha'pennorth,
Dave H. (the other one)

Thanks for responding Steel. This unit was working OK when I took it off off my other lathe. I took a lot of care in keeping things straight and true. Indicator says plus and minus . 001" on height and close to that lateral. The problem exists in either plug. So I am pretty sure it is in the scale.
I think I am screwed. I was hoping for a magic elixir ☺
Randy

Can you post a picture of the scale ? A good shot of the read head would help.

IMG_20160418_093136.jpg IMG_20160418_093222.jpg IMG_20160418_093058.jpg IMG_20160418_093118.jpg IMG_20160418_092939.jpg

Here are some pictures. I don't know if you can make much out of them. The fuzzy picture of the read head is upside-down, but you may be able to see that it's slightly cocked. I made some retainers to keep the head aligned. But even that doesn't help in the dead spot.

Back