DRO problem

Suzuki4evr

Registered
Registered
Good day.

I have a SNS-3V with 5ųm glass scales on my mill and when I zero the x,y and z axis at any given point and switch everything off and not move any of the hand cranks and then switch it back on again,everything is still zeroed as I left it.

Well my problem is I have a Ditron D60 with 5ųm magnetic scales on my lathe and when I do the exact same there as mentioned above,it does not have the same effect. Zeroed before shutdown and when switched on again there is totally different readings showing. Very annoying, otherwise it is a very nice DRO.

Am I missing something? Does anyone have the same DRO with the same problem or another make with that issue? Or is it a setting I missed,although I did not had to do any settings with the SNS DRO. It was like that since the beginning. I have this Ditron for about a year and a half now and there has been no other problems otherwise.

Any help is welcome.

Thank you.
Michael

Might depend on your electronics/display. I made my own DRO reader/display. If I leave it on and come back later, it is as I left it. If I turn the power off to my electronics the distances are set to zero. Why? Because I programmed it that way, and I didn't want to deal with non-volatile memory like flash. I didn't want to learn all the ins and outs of programming flash while the power supply is turning off, it's hard to debug. Perhaps it is that same for your display unit?

Or are you saying that the display comes up to some totally unrelated value to what was there before? Are you sure no one has changed the positions? The read heads themselves do not know the absolute position, unless they read a reference mark. All the smarts are in the display. Different manufacturers may have different thoughts on what was best (in that era).

Yes. I leave it zeroed on the x and y axis, switch it off and when I come back in the morning and switch it back on,the values are totaly different.

Just me in my shop.
What is the vintage of the display unit? Like 20 or more years old, or ? It's possible there is a coin cell battery (or some kind of battery) inside the display unit and it is going dead. Might consider taking it apart to check. Relatively speaking that would be an easy fix.

If it isn't that, then something in the display has failed. Are you sure this display is supposed to remember it's position? Do you have a manual for the display? What does it say?

I have a Grizzly DRO that is 18 years old that is simialr to the Ditron. When I shut it down and restart it, it comes back exactly as it was before shut down. The DRO has all kinds of parameters for subdatums, scale factors, etc. that have to be retained following a shut down so there must be some permanent memory storage.

I got in the beginning of 2021,so pretty new.
Probably a setting then. Is it coming up in a different mode? Like absolute. Or some kind of relative coordinate space?

I see you found the manual. That should help!

Back