DRO on old lathe

wpala

Active User
Registered
Hi
So here is the deal I would like to add DRO on my '70s SM 13x40 lathe do I go 2 axis or 3- long, cross and compound or just long and cross also what size of glass scale should I use any help would be appreciated

Paul

I added low cost remote reading scales to my South Bend. The cross slide scale has been the least useful so far, especially since it reads radii, not diameter. A +-.001" on the radius is double that on the diameter, not good enough for a lot of things. The carrage scale has allowed me to make parts with shoulders located within .002". An article on the installation shouldv appear in Model Engine Builder.

Lohring Miller

P1010185.JPG P1010186.JPG P1010189.JPG

Could you post a link on where you picked up the scales? Thanks

Those 'cheap' remote readout DROs are also all over ebay, most of which have free shipping and apparently are the same --

http://www.ebay.com/itm/24-Digital-...556?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20caabaefc

I have 2 of them, 1 on the tail stock and 1 on the carriage. For the home shop these should serve the purpose well. I really cant see adding DRO to the compound, would probably be difficult anyway getting mounted.

DROtailstock_zps13e99e2b.jpg

DROtailstock_zps13e99e2b.jpg

Scale size will depend on travel. your going to have to check that. Being your in Bolton Ont, if a Sino DRO is ok for you, Call David at Accusize tools, He stocks Sino, and a few of the other similar to I gaging too. His # is 647 618 4036, They are with in driving distance to you.

I can live without on one the cross slide and I have a dial for the carriage. I'd like to have one on the tail stock like you have though. Worth a try for the price. Thanks guys

I went with a 2-axis, and didn't put a scale on the compound. I figured it would be a bit too crowded with a compound scale. I think those I gaging type are more compact, and might fit better if the compound has to have a scale.

The setup Bill shows mounted to the tailstock is a nice feature as well.

Scale size will depend on travel. your going to have to check that. Being your in Bolton Ont, if a Sino DRO is ok for you, Call David at Accusize tools, He stocks Sino, and a few of the other similar to I gaging too. His # is 647 618 4036, They are with in driving distance to you.

That's where I went and where I plan to buy the DRO's seems like nice guy bought few things from them

Paul

I was looking for a way to mount the DRO and this might be an old thread for a newbie it is great. I like it very much....will give it a try.

Back