DRO -- Educate Me Please

Thanks for the info guys - this may be a short lived discussion. I just took a look at pricing and now have sticker shock. If I can't get into the DRO game in the $300 range I will likely seriously reconsider the jump to DRO's.

Rick

I took delivery this morning of my third DRO from a seller in China (Enpod), this one is a 3 axis with glass scales. $313 delivered, received it in 5 days. My other two are two axis units that are on lathes.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/182295304583?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

The seller is very communicative, meaning they are very interested in making me happy. We exchanged 4 emails before they shipped this one. I've tried to help them understand some of the confusing parts of their ads relative to scale lengths but to be honest they are just selling the same thing as everyone else - but much cheaper. It's important to let them know you want the "english" model when you give them the sizes, my first unit was a chinese model and it was a PITA to get set up, but the seller worked hard as a go-between with the factory to get me what I needed. When I bought the second unit (english) I was able to get the first one straightened out quickly.

I have a thread or two here on installing the units on my Cinci Traytop lathe and Clausing lathe. The new setup is going on a 9x42" Bridgeport.

I took delivery this morning of my third DRO from a seller in China (Enpod), this one is a 3 axis with glass scales. $313 delivered, received it in 5 days. My other two are two axis units that are on lathes.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/182295304583?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

The seller is very communicative, meaning they are very interested in making me happy. We exchanged 4 emails before they shipped this one. I've tried to help them understand some of the confusing parts of their ads relative to scale lengths but to be honest they are just selling the same thing as everyone else - but much cheaper. It's important to let them know you want the "english" model when you give them the sizes, my first unit was a chinese model and it was a PITA to get set up, but the seller worked hard as a go-between with the factory to get me what I needed. When I bought the second unit (english) I was able to get the first one straightened out quickly.

I have a thread or two here on installing the units on my Cinci Traytop lathe and Clausing lathe. The new setup is going on a 9x42" Bridgeport.
What are the differences between the English and Chinese models?

The words on the readout when you are in setup mode are in chinese. Other than that, nothing. It is rather hard to set the unit up for a lathe (changing scale resolution to go from radius to diameter readout for example) when you don't know what it says, and the manual is hard enough to understand without that little speed bump.

I installed a DRO Pro 3 axis system on my mill two years ago and love the way it works. You can input your tool diameters and it will compensate from an edge if that's what you want. Makes centering easy and checking angles even easier, but as some have reported with the magnetic scales, not cheap. I did not want the glass scales due to concerns with coolant and chip fouling, which have not been any problem with the magnetics, == Jack

What is your impression of the accuracy and repeatability of the DRO's you are using? Also - they see to have all of the features of the more expensive models - would you agree with that or are there things/features that you don't get?

Thanks
Rick

What is your impression of the accuracy and repeatability of the DRO's you are using? Also - they see to have all of the features of the more expensive models - would you agree with that or are there things/features that you don't get?

Thanks
Rick
Rick, the technology used for glass scales should give the same accuracy regardless of brand, if built to the same nominal accuracy. The issues with the imported stuff is the quality of the mounting and supporting equipment, which are often not made to the same robustness as the best made ones. Repeatability can be impacted by loose mounting hardware and less rigid construction over the longer term. Then again, hobby machinists are not usually as rough on equipment as commercial shops are. You pay your money and take your chances.

Thanks bob - that brings up a good question - how do the 3 scales mount to a Bridgeport - is hardware generally included? I suspect that it depends on where you get it - like you said the more you spend the closer it will be to plug and play I'm thinking?

Rick

Thanks bob - that brings up a good question - how do the 3 scales mount to a Bridgeport - is hardware generally included? I suspect that it depends on where you get it - like you said the more you spend the closer it will be to plug and play I'm thinking?

Rick
I am the wrong person to answer that question. I don't have a BP, and I have not looked critically at many installations. A careful installation of any DRO, with additional protection added where needed, pays dividends long term. It is really important to keep the oil and swarf out of glass scales, and to not let them get bent or otherwise physically damaged. Hardware is usually included, but quite often it must be modified or new parts made to achieve an accurate, protective, and robust mounting.

that brings up a good question - how do the 3 scales mount to a Bridgeport - is hardware generally included? I suspect that it depends on where you get it - like you said the more you spend the closer it will be to plug and play I'm thinking?

When it comes down to it there are many different variations on mounting, I purchased the DRO Pro EL700 with 4 axis, and used only one bracket for the X-Axis mount. If you need to modify or fabricate the brackets it is easy to do with some aluminum stock. The alignment of glass scales is more critical then the magnetic so you need to spend the time to make sure they are aligned properly. The cheaper glass scales may not be as coolant proof as better ones, but in the hobby environment this should not be an issue if they are properly installed. There are lots of references online as to mounting DROs on knee mills. I assume your Z-axis would be the knee, which is easier to mount than the spindle scale. As I mentioned you can get an inexpensive battery operated spindle DRO, which comes with brackets and are easy to mount for around $50.
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/dro-educate-me-please.56139/reply?quote=462897

Attachments

• SINO DRO Install Manual.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
Back