Drilling hardened Ball Pein Hammer

So I tried a new Bosch Cobalt bit for $13 and it does nothing either. Any advice on a good place to buy a 3/8" carbide bit? I looked around online and they are super expensive. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Is this particular hammer a requirement? If you have a lathe why not make one, wouldn’t even need to go that far if you can drill a few holes in a piece of round stock.

Also, how about buying a new cheap hammer? Wouldn’t have been work hardened if unused.

John

Reactions: JRT
I do have a lathe and I guess I could make one, I'm just tight on time so I thought this would be quick.

The hammer in question is a $15 US made 8oz Vaughan that I purchased brand new.

Would brass work with this carbide bearing inserted as a hammer without the brass distorting since I'll be hammering only with the carbide ball side? I just konw that brass is really soft.

I would get a smaller carbide drill to drill a 1/4 deep pilot hole. then use a 3/8 Dia solid carbide ball end mill to open up the hole.
The ball mill will give you a spherical bottom to the hole to fully support the ball. Any softer material used for the hammer will deform from the point contact of the ball, the much bigger surface contact will minimize any deformation with lots of hammering.

I do have a lathe and I guess I could make one, I'm just tight on time so I thought this would be quick.

The hammer in question is a $15 US made 8oz Vaughan that I purchased brand new.

Would brass work with this carbide bearing inserted as a hammer without the brass distorting since I'll be hammering only with the carbide ball side? I just konw that brass is really soft.
Really don’t know if there would be an issue but there have to be some good designs on the blade forums.

John

I like Vaughan hammers...

Is tungsten carbide really the hot ticket for a hammer pein? It's so brittle and does not tolerate impact well. That's kind of a head-scratcher to me.

Back