Drilled A Tapered Hole. But Did Not Mean Too.

MAlcocer

Registered
Registered
I was drilling some aluminum today in the mill (g0704) and spotted all my holes with a #3 center drill. Drilled 10 at 3/8 and one at 1/2 inch. All through a piece of .600 inch stock. The half inch hole is .505 at the bottom and .520 at the top. All of the 3/8 holes were tapered as well. I did not run the bit much past the stock. Ran at 1500 rpm and had good ribbons coming off.

What went wrong? I don't recall ever having a hole come out tapered like this. Any advice to prevent this from happening. Yes I should ream to get an accurate hole but I was not expecting a taper. Also used a brand new set of hss bits. Any advice is welcome.

Is your hole tapered or is the profile more like a counter bore? A drill bit with unequal lips will drill a larger than nominal hole until the tip breaks through when the remainder of the hole will be closer to the nominal size.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest the problem in chatter.
Try drilling the holes with out the center drilling. I find center drills produce a lot of chatter, so I quit using them in preference to spotting drills.
Either way, the spigot on the center drill should be larger than the web on your drill.

Both of those sound reasonable. I used a smaller center drill and had some chatter. It appears to be more of a taper than a counter bore. Brand new ground drill bits i would hope they were cut equally. Would i get better results progressively drilling the holes larger sizes?

Is your hole tapered or is the profile more like a counter bore? A drill bit with unequal lips will drill a larger than nominal hole until the tip breaks through when the remainder of the hole will be closer to the nominal size.
Wow, never thought of that. That is actually a pretty good test for unequal cutting edge lengths. Thanks!

another consideration is if the table is truly square to the spindle, any deviation from square will show a taper.

the drill will try to glance, ever so slightly and the end result is an egg shaped hole.

So to test what caused it. If I drill a hole with out a spot or center drill and get the same results then its most likely unevenly ground bits (they look visually fine). I will also try and drill a spot/center drill that is larger than my drill bit and see if that works. Any other ideas?

What's the run-out of your mill spindle?

If it is turning a little out of centre then the hole will be larger than expected. Add in the flex of the drill bit and it could end up tapered.

-brino

Back