Drill sharpening on a D bit grinder AKA Deckel clone.

the mu-shu CBN wheel
Is that a brand name? I'm having some difficulty finding CBN cup wheels on my regular back alley AliExpress haunts. There are 20 diamond wheels for every 1 CBN it seems & far fewer form factors/grits. And I'm not sure I trust their description at the best of times. The language or use of 'color' to describe part/size variations is even more apparent when it comes to wheels. If it says CBN specifically I would say fair game.

That's a good video too. I'll add to my collection, but still not the one I seem to think I'm remembering. In the one you referenced he says he abuses the cheap diamond wheels, but then he proceeds to grind a carbide shank with it, not a HSS blank.

On this one he is grinding hardened / tempered O1 but using OA? type wheel on his different grinder. Shessh this is like a garage sale puzzle set, always missing a piece LOL

You are right, I remember his delight and his use of the word "abuse", and the subject was definitely HSS. The one I posted was the I don't care, it's cheap quote.

Is that a brand name? I'm having some difficulty finding CBN cup wheels on my regular back alley AliExpress haunts. There are 20 diamond wheels for every 1 CBN it seems & far fewer form factors/grits. And I'm not sure I trust their description at the best of times. The language or use of 'color' to describe part/size variations is even more apparent when it comes to wheels. If it says CBN specifically I would say fair game.
Mu-shu is a really nice dish to order at a good Chinese restaurant, and I am making jokes like a racist prick these days when talking about imported tools. So my apologies for being off-color!

This is the one of the CBN wheels I use.

Aha I get you now. I saw that Shars CBN wheel but noticed the grinding surface layout is a bit different, more along the outer cup, not so much on the face like most of the typical brown diamond ones. I did recently buy the Shars thin, coarser grit CBN wheel after seeing it in use. Apparently good for lopping off, deeper recessing or mild hogging. The problem is I live in Kanuckistan & shipping/dinger fees often exceeds the price of the part, so I have to be selective.

Well I'll leave the diamond vs CBN discussion open, maybe we will find something more definitive either way. I'd love to run into someone that said I used diamond on HSS for 3 years, its half the original thickness but going strong. Or not. But I don't have those data points yet.

Aha I get you now. I saw that Shars CBN wheel but noticed the grinding surface layout is a bit different, more along the outer cup, not so much on the face like most of the typical brown diamond ones. I did recently buy the Shars thin, coarser grit CBN wheel after seeing it in use. Apparently good for lopping off, deeper recessing or mild hogging. The problem is I live in Kanuckistan & shipping/dinger fees often exceeds the price of the part, so I have to be selective.

Well I'll leave the diamond vs CBN discussion open, maybe we will find something more definitive either way. I'd love to run into someone that said I used diamond on HSS for 3 years, its half the original thickness but going strong. Or not. But I don't have those data points yet.

This is the diamond wheel that I have.

I've been using it on HSS for 4 years, it still appears to be at original thickness and going strong. The outer edge has a bit of a roll-off radius now, maybe 1/16, so it appears they can wear, but dang I've run a lot of bits on it in the time it took.

The CBN wheel I posted has its material on the back of the flare for sharpening end mill faces. It gets a lot closer to center than a flat face flare wheel.

I don't think a body can do much to hurt these wheels.

That is good intel, thanks!

I did some more searching on Ali. Turns out there are CBN's available in TCG sizes/formats. Sorry for derailing the thread. Eventually I'll start a post on some of my TCG upgrades & learning journey which is at the early stage.

Attachments

• SNAG-27-09-2023 6.14.12 PM.jpg
    SNAG-27-09-2023 6.14.12 PM.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 45
  • SNAG-27-09-2023 6.14.22 PM.jpg
    SNAG-27-09-2023 6.14.22 PM.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 40
Back