Drill Press Workholding

I have a shop built copy of Float Lock vise. Nothing better in my view.

I have a shop built copy of Float Lock vise. Nothing better in my view.

Very interesting! I’d like to see it if you have pix. I’ve looked for them on ebay, etc but have thought it would be cool to make one.
Stan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought a drill press at a yard sale to get the Float Lock vice. Great vice.

Greg

I have one of there bolted to my DP table: https://www.amazon.com/WEN-414CV-Compound-Industrial-Strength/dp/B077QMBVTB?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_1

Pretty handy with gib locks and a set of parallels

I picked up one of those for the same purpose, but wasn't too pleased with it. It wasn't a Wen, can't remember where or even when I got it from, but it probably needs new gibs and a bunch of other work I wasn't prepared to do at the time.

Replaced it with an X-Y table (from Shars maybe?) and a cheap drill press vise from the hardware store. This lets me clamp things to the X-Y table T-slots, very useful. Still can't figure out a use for the compound vise.

Thanks for the pix! Looks great. I’ll have to get to the drawing board (PC )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't take credit for it. I bought it from a retired toolmaker maybe 50 years ago. I believe he made a few for sale.

This vise came with my Ellis drill press. It is the best DP vise that I have ever used. It is easy and fast to clamp down/release, super easy to posotion and will not let the part spin. If you will look at how it is attached to the table, it would be pretty easy to modify about any vise to work similarly. Just one bolt to the table and a sliding fit to the shaft.
Randy

Attachments

• IMG_20190608_181422.jpg
    IMG_20190608_181422.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20190608_181437.jpg
    IMG_20190608_181437.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 49
Oh mannnnnn....
You guys are giving me all kinds of ideas, that is always dangerous..........

Back