drill doctor

porthos

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
thinking about getting a drill doctor 750. anyone have one or had one ? and if so; were there any issues that you may have had that might stop me from getting one. i do a really bad job of sharpening my bits by hand.

I have one and have worn out another, have done thousands of drill bits, with no issues. I wouldn’t be without one.

Do you have a size range that you wish to sharpen?

David

My two cents..... If your eyes are any good you can learn to sharpen bits larger than 3/16" pretty easy, its the smaller ones that using a machine is helpful for. Drilling is a roughing procedure, if you need accurate dimension hole you follow that up with boring and then maybe a reamer. I have a 15 year old DD, its okay but I only use it on the bits under a quarter inch in size. Personally I find the DD to be a bit gimmicky, made of plastic, takes some fiddling to get it to do a 118 degree bit accurately and takes for ever to do a bit that has a lot of damage, IMO its basically a touch up tool. The really small bits that won't fit correctly in DD collet I do by hand with a stone, or just chuck em and grab a new one.

I use the DD 500 with decent success. Bits bigger than 1/2 I sharpen by hand.

I have a DD 750 and hundreds of drill bits which I sharpen every few years so the diamond wheel needs replacement! With a fresh wheel I can split point nicely with great results. Great little machine!

thanks guys. i'm going to put that on my "buy" list. i will be using it for touch up. i can probably get close by hand ; and use the drill dr. for finish

Drilling is a roughing procedure, if you need accurate dimension hole you follow that up with boring and then maybe a reamer.
Just a question, if you set up a machine for a boring operation why would you use a reamer afterwards? Would not drill and ream be more expedient.

Back