Drill Chuck Id And Replacement

Muggzy

Registered
Registered
Hello All, I'm new to the site but will become a very active member in the near future.

I've got a Home Master 5 speed 1/2 hp drill press and the chuck is pretty beat. I finally figured out that it was on a tapered spindle rather than a threaded one. I'm not even sure where to begin. The chuck is 1/2 inch but I don't know anything about the taper. Any advise?

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

I just noticed that this might belong in the "drill press" forum

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

The official method is to use a pair of the fork/U shaped tapered wedges - either home made or purchased. Usually that works, perhaps in conjunction with some heat on the body (which is hard to get to as there is a thimble is in the way). Google Jacobs Chuck Wedges - you'll get the idea.

Let us know how you make out.

Here is a picture of my drill press.

taper_zps5ntlqwyj.jpg

Usually the chuck is mounted on a Morse Taper arbor which in turn is inserted into the drill press. To remove the chuck/arbor drive a wedge in the hole in the shaft.

It may be easier to get a combination drill chuck and arbor than it is to separate the drill chuck from the existing arbor.

If you want to reuse the existing arbor, then you will need to use wedges to take the chuck off the arbor and then identify the chuck taper on the arbor.

Another option to remove the chuck is to drill a hole in the chuck to allow you to use a press to remove the arbor.

Like I said, it may be easier to replace both the arbor and the chuck.

Here is a link to the jacobs chuck website which describes how to remove a chuck from the arbor.

Last edited:
Back